I'm getting a "popping" sound when recording

chaaaaaa

Hey,

Whenever I sing into my mic and accentuate my p’s, s’s, b’s, t’s etc. I get a lot of popping sounds in my recordings.

I have an AKG C 1000 S condenser mic.

I use a windscreen.

I don’t sing directly in the mic either (straight into it).
I sing either over the mic or to the right or left of it, but still, some of the words that I sing blast wind into the mic creating a pop in the recording.

What am I doing wrong?
AHHH, I hate life.

Please help.

I'm just going to assume that you are talking about a windscreen that fits over the "ball" or "grill" of the mic, yes? What you need is a pop filter. Do a search and see what you come up with. Get out yer pantyhose and clothes hangers!!!!!!! :)

Pop filter

Hi,
I’m talking about the wind screen that rtzstudios mentioned. It just fits over the head of the mic.
Sir Lee,
It depends. When I sing louder I move away from the mic a bit. But on average I’m about 1.5 – 2 inches away from the mic.

rtzstudios,
I heard of using the panty hose and coat hanger to get rid of the popping sounds. In fact, I’m wearing panty hose right now and I’m a guy.

Do I use the panty hose and hanger pop filter combined with the wind screen that covers the head of my mic?

Do I sing behind the pop filter for the whole song, or do I only sing behind it in my problem areas?

Thanks

Windscreens are meant mainly for outdoor use to stop the noise of wind blowing across the mic grille, you need a pop filter which isnt that expensive. If you want to make one you need a wire coat hanger, a pair of pliers, some gaffer's tape and a nylon stocking. Straighten out the coat hanger and then bend one end into a circle with about a 6 inch diameter, leave the other end straight. You should now have something that looks like a baloon, 6in circle on one end and a straight tail. Double the stocking around the circle and wrap tape around the 'neck' to hold it in place. Set up a mic stand with your vocal mic on it and position it at a comfortable singing height, take off the foam windscreen, now bend the straight piece of the coathanger so that it can attatch to the mic stand and the pop filter stays vertical about 3 inches from the mic directly in front of it. Sing through the filter all the time, not just for problem words. If the filter is too thin you will still get 'plosives'(pops), just double it. If it's too thick it might filter out too much of your high frequencies.

I use an AT3525 and I made an interesting discovery. I can sing very close to it (almost directly) without needing a pop filter, just by boosting the hi EQ a little bit. Not even a lot - just a pinch, and the popping really diminishes - without a pop screen or anything. I was stunned.

Isaiah

I am new.

Thanks for the lengthy answer vox. It helped a lot.

Prism,
I'm pretty new to recording with a mic. How do I boost the high EQ?

What is the high EQ?

Thanks

You may be to close

One thing I noticed is how close you are to the mic. By getting that close, not only will you have a greater chance of getting those annoying added noises, you also take the risk of getting proximity effect. I can't realy explain what it is other than the sound that is recorded is full of all kinds of strang noises. I have an AKG C4000 B and when I am singing, I am typically 4 to 6 inches away. Not only do I get less poping, I also get a cleaner sound. When you are using a condeser mic, you do not need to eat it like you do a dynamic mic.

Hope this helps
Joe

Back