i'm drowning......HELP!!!!

catfish11

good forum you guys, i've been following it for awhile and have really learned quite a bit, i think.
here's my problem, i got into this digital recording business with the farfetched dream of being able to make a professional sounding "record" all without the hassle of studios, musicians,
to many expenses and taking my sweet time so i could do my masterpiece once and for all.
please do not laugh to hard now, the first digital recorder i came in contact with was pg music's powertracks which i thought was kind of cool being an old analogue head the idea of being able to manipulate in the digital domain sucked me right in. then, n-tracks running on a celeron 533, soundblaster live, using shure 57's cheap plug-ins,ect...
then i got sonar, now i'm running nuendo (mainly cause of the reverb, which to me is the best i've heard and i've got waves, tc native and my former favorite ultra-funk.
maybe your getting the picture, i am looking for that elusive sound
, you know a pro sound at home, well thousands of dollars latter i might actually be getting there...
here is what i've got so far- i will preface this to say that i'm mainly a player (guitar, bass, some keys and a songwriter, mainly doing straight instrument recording though i do have fruity loops and a bunch of soft-synths ONLY MIDI FOR DRUMS)
athalon 1.2 gig 512 ram windows 2000 running sonar and nuendo
this is an audio computer only
2 ata 7200 hds
fully optimized i think, running fat 32
fairly good performance i suppose i can run at least 3 instances of waves rverb and a bunch of c4s, i guess that's good...who knows,
i'm dreaming of dual processors
i still have my celeron 533 192 ram 2 7200 hds for running gigasampler (i use it for drums in sonar with the drum trax upgrade, sonar the $400.00 drum machine) and soft synths i run into my other computer as audio..yikes, this is getting complicated!
i forgot, in the athlon i am running delta omni/delta
celeron delta audiophile 24/96
hey, this is looking impressive!
i also have 2 nt1 mikes
an art tube mp, a couple pods around here (overrated in my humble opinion, give me the art and revalver)
fender precision, marshall amp, norman acoustic guitar (love it), jackson electric,
jbl century speakers (old and good my greatest purchase $60.00, hafler m5 moniters and ta1 100 power amp,
my old rp 10, zoom 234 drum machine ect, ect...
i list this stuff as a warning to all...beware what you wish for!
i am not rich by any means- and i am not done either!!!!
i'm sorry for the long intro i did this as a warning to any one who thinks they would like there own home studio.
i'm stuck, i got $500.00 that i know will get me over the top once and for all i just don't know what i need,
some questions-
should i be thinking of a mixer (mackie 1202 vlz)
better mic's ntk, studio project c1, ect..
does an external compressor make a big difference over a digital one (i've got the waves c4, nuendo, good old ultra-funk)
just how are these preamps in the delta/omni?
after screwing around with all these soft-syths and stuff i'm leaning more and more to the simple, guitar, acoustic and electric
i guess i can get by with drum samples and sonar and gigasampler for drums, that' s a tough one , drums.
i'm torn,
joe meek, fnc (compressor), new mic, the nt1's are kinda harsh
the mackie board, the rossetta stone, WHAT!!! HELP!!!
thank god my wife loves me, at least till i get back from the music store-
by the way i live on a rock in the pacific ocean so it is very hard to try stuff out
THANKS, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

It sounds like you have a good set-up, and you should be able to get some great sounds with your gear. I would recommend that you spend your money on some room treatments. You could get set up pretty well for $500, and it would be something that you would never need to replace, no moving parts, not sensitive to voltage spikes. What a deal.

>i also have 2 nt1 mikes

I picked up on that and read about your other limitations. nuendo is not the problem. Emeric says it rocks and I think he knows his shit. I don't have it but I'll trust his review.

You need a BETTER PRE!!!!

I use 2 NT-1s as well and they're useless without a decent pre.

In your range I'd suggest the Mindvoice Enprint (sp?), the Presonus, The Joe Meek and my choice, the dbx 386 or the 376 channel strip.

Depends on whether you want transparent (my choice) or coloration (other peope's choices).

As for compressors. I've seen the Bellari. Get the RNC!!!!! Two of 'em and the rack mount adapter.

I agree with the doctor. Get the best pre you can afford. Either the Mindprint Envoice, the Presonus VXP, the DBX or the Jomeek VC1Q would be a good choice.

Don't know guys, I'd say the Pre-Thing is pretty far down the chain in importance. Decent clean electronics is easy. It's everything else makes all the differences, song, performance, arrangements, mics, mix, ect, ect.
Ya know, a great hook's a great hook.
Just another 2 cents.

Happy TG all!

thanks you guys,
i'm actually getting some pretty good sounds but i want it FAT!
i am also wanting to record my acoustic, but have not been satisfied with the sound over all.
i was thinking on the joe meek, but there is alot of talk around here about the sound projects new pre
i was wondering if if using a compressor going in with my signal
would help (FNC)
i actually really like sonar but was having some trouble opening a couple projects (bummer!)
but for all the hassle it is a rally good program cause you can moniter all your effects in real time while recording! which is a great plus
this leads me to ask, is an externall compressor that nessesary
or will the waves c4 do the job
i keep hearing joe meek, joe meek, joe meek-
will that add the FAT i'm looking for?
anyway mixsit is right if it ain't got the shit , it ain't shit!!
but damn this multitrack past and puke stuff sure is cool!!!

My first recommendation would be a 57 to add to the mic collection if you're doing anything electric. (If you already listed it, sorry but I just kinda skimmed.)

If you want to record acoustic guitar I'd recommend small diaphragm condensers over your current large diaphragm mics.

You shouldn't be worried about a mixer if you aren't doing any live multitracking. If you were doing a real drum kit you should be thinking mixer.

Buy a couple of different mics and pick up a RNC and play around. There is no holy grail that makes everything sound great. There are a whole bunch of baby steps and mistakes that lead to a progressively better sound.

Back