I'm confused over recording level mixers?

Beemer

I'm transferring my cassette tapes to CD. Stereo output from deck goes to Mixer then out to Echo Mia Midi card on Windows 7 64bit with latest Echo driver.

Tape deck has line out only and hardware mixer is set to avoid overloading.

In windows the Echo Mia midi card is selected for input and output. The Echo software mixer console shows the recorded levels.

However altering the recording level in the Echo mixer does not vary the level. The only way that the level can be changed in software is using the Windows recording mixer then using this the levels can be seen to change in the Echo mixer.

Something is not right as I am certain that in the past I could use the Echo mixer sliders to alter recording level.

Can someone help my understand what might be wrong?

Beemer

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but it really doesn't matter.

You should never set recording levels in the computer. The only point in the chain that the level has to be right is just before the AD converters, which in you case is the signal coming out of the mixer and into the Mia.

Once the signal is in the computer, the recording level is (mostly) irrelevant and the mixer faders on the computer screen only control the level AFTER it is in the computer. Once it's in the computer, it's too late to get good recording levels because it is already recorded.

Thanks for that information. I guess that the Echo mixer should only be used to adjust relative levels of its pseudo multi output capability.

Beemer

Back