I'm buyin IEEE1394(firewire) card for vid editing, are ADATs, HD rec'ers compatible?

Sabith

Well, I'm now in television broadcasting in college and we need to buy our own DV cams......... and well, the ones we get have IEEE1394(firewire) connections on em and I was thinkin...... why edit on the schools PC's when I can do it in my studio at home..... BUUUUT I was wondering will the IEEE1394(firewire) card that I get be compatible with an adat, HD recorder or any other kinda digital audio rocorder that I'm planning to buy in the near future.....

I wanna JUST record on the digital multitrack, then I'll dump it down to my PC and edit there. Just wondering if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.... don't wanna have to buy 2 different digital input cards..... 1 for my dvcam and the other for my soon to be coming digital multitrack.

Thx for the help,

Sabith

You need some kind of interface that would send the digital signals from an ADAT or whatever into a FireWire cable. I'm not sure these exist yet on the market. I'm not sure if any PC audio apps can use a Firewire interface to get an audio stream out of without some sort of device driver.

There is one FireWire audio interface that I know of, the MOTU 828. It offers eight channels of ADAT lightpipe I/O as well as 8 channels of analog and stereo S/PDIF I/O.

But you can't just plug a FireWire cable into an ADAT and transfer audio data...

Back