I'm back

dwarf

OK I need help I will be receiving my money back from my drummer (no shit I lent him $500) and still need to get a kit.

Now I don't need a good kit just one that will get me by, I was looking at THIS KIT HERE and was told by my neighbour to snach it up as it is birch.

Should I?

Thanks

dwarf said:
OK I need help I will be receiving my money back from my drummer (no shit I lent him $500) and still need to get a kit.

Now I don't need a good kit just one that will get me by, I was looking at THIS KIT HERE and was told by my neighbour to snach it up as it is birch.

Should I?

Thanks

I would stick with a name brand if I could. The cymbals that come with that are sure to be crap - and you don't want to spend money on something that you won't be able to really use.

Personally, I would look around locally for a used kit...stick with names like Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, etc. I'd stay clear of Slingerland, only for the fact that you can't get parts for them.

Bollocks to brand I say, play it out and test - but if you can't do that then you might want to go with a brand you trust (that's not a contradiction, honest!).

I personally think birch sounds a bit weak, but it's up to you to get the sound you want!

It's important to note that birch does not equal birch does not equal birch.

That is, one company may use a lesser grade than another and the specie of wood alone does not make sound.

Therefore, trust your ears and a company's reputation more than their marketing points.

I play a poplar ELX, and I'll compare that against pacific maple all day long.

That's what I thought. I believed they used a lower quallity. I'll probably get a sonar 505. I'm not a drummer and only want it to fuck around on.

Thanks

dwarf said:
That's what I thought. I believed they used a lower quallity. I'll probably get a sonar 505. I'm not a drummer and only want it to fuck around on.

Thanks
That's not a bad idea. In the sub-$500 range (new), I think the Sonor's are among the very best. Another to check out is the Ludwig Accent. Definitely not high-end kits, but enough for you to have some serious fun.

Back