I'm Alright - For Bashing

reinmj

Wait.. what?
Tried some new gear today and hoped to punch another couple of mixes out, this being one of them. Not feeling too great about this mix so need some guidance.

** Updated mix in post #6**

Attachments

• I'm Alright.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
There's a lot going on in this mix. You did a good job of keeping things from stepping on each others' toes.

However, in pursuit of that, you may have made the lead vocal a little thin. It seems to have its own narrow band in the mid range, but it should take up more space.

Hi VomitHatSteve

There's a lot going on in this mix. You did a good job of keeping things from stepping on each others' toes.

However, in pursuit of that, you may have made the lead vocal a little thin. It seems to have its own narrow band in the mid range, but it should take up more space.

You are 100% right. I listened in my car today and there is something going on with the mids in the lead vocal and sucked the life right out of it. I almost finished my new "studio" setup and will do my room measurements tonight and compensate(small room). After that i'll work on it and post a new mix. Thank you for your input!!:thumbs up:

I like the mix overall.....but to me the vocal is too low in volume. I suspect that you corrected the "thinness" of the vocal.....but it's too low to tell. I'd bring it up a bit.

I like the mix overall.....but to me the vocal is too low in volume. I suspect that you corrected the "thinness" of the vocal.....but it's too low to tell. I'd bring it up a bit.

Pushed up aroumd 2.8db

Attachments

• I'm Alright(3).mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Yeah, that vocal sounds a lot better. Did you clear up some 'verbs or delays on other channels too?

Hi VomitHatSteve,

Thank you. When i moved my setup to a different room(untreated at first mix) it messed with the frequencies but now i can hear a bit better hahaha. I just pushed(very slightly) some lower mids to bring body back to the vocal, cleared up some upper mids that were fighting with the acoustic guitar and changed the reverb from bright Valhalla plate to Fabfilter dark reverb, and pulled it back a bit. Then i realized the lead vocal was still fighting with backing vocals and changed the phase. All other instruments untouched.

I like the way you've got the bass quite forward but at the same time it's unobtrusive and doesn't get in the road and muddy everything up. How'd you do that? :D Excellent performances all round, got a bit of Santana going on. MIx is nice on headphones. Good jam, great job

I listened to original and then #3. Vocals def sound better now that they have been brought up. Really cool song, lots of stuff there and they all seem to have their own space...good!

Back