I'm absolutely in love with the way my P90 pickups sound, but I can't get rid of the buzzing. Any ideas?

As in they feedback more than say, a strat or other single coil guitar? I have heard that some non hum-bucking pickups can become microphonic where the coil is wound a little loose and the coil windings can move, making them into mics? If you tape the pickups with the volume up, or even shot into to them, does that make a noise?

Strats, Teles and P90s are single coil, so if you have anything that is introducing EMF, they will pick it up.

There are now hum cancelling versions of P90s from several people, like Lindy Fralin.

If you don't mind me asking. . . do you have an expensive guitar that came with the P90s, or do you have a low end guitar that came with the P90s, or did you swap out the original PUs for the P90s in whatever guitar you're using?

I'm curious because I've been looking at a Harley Benton SC-450 P90 GT Classic Series with P90s and am curious to see if they're noisy as in your situation.

Last edited:
As others say, single coil pickups like P90s are prone to being noisy, even much noisier, than humbucking design. It's simply unavoidable in some locations when you're not in control of the environment, where banks of noisy lights with dimmers in the same circuit as your amp, just old wiring, etc., are beyond your control.

It would be helpful to know what you're plugging into, and why "feedback free" is a requirement (noting that "feedback" is not noise, but let's assume you didn't mean "feedback").

First, if you're gigging in a band with a drummer, your concern is misplaced, IME/IMO.

Second (or maybe first), be sure to check your cables, and make sure you have good (non-"coil-y" or excessively long) ones that don't have the shielding trashed from being walked or rolled over by heavy objects for years.

After that, I have found that doing a very effective job of internal shielding on guitars with single coil pickups does make a difference, though it may not be sufficient for you, but still not a waste of time, unless you've got some pricey relic, genuine 60s LP, in which case you're stuck with it.... If you're a solo artist plugging into an old amp, make sure it's been updated to a grounded power supply and consider a ground-lift device if the amp doesn't have a switch, or even a regulated power supply. And, of course, finally, I suppose, consider trying some "noiseless" version of the P90, which will mean it has an active or "dummy" second coil; so, yes, you'll lose some of that sparkle, but it will cut out a lot of noise in almost any situation.

If you don't mind me asking. . . do you have an expensive guitar that came with the P90s, or do you have a low end guitar that came with the P90s, or did you swap out the original PUs for the P90s in whatever guitar you're using?

I'm curious because I've been looking at a Harley Benton SC-450 P90 GT Classic Series with P90s and am curious to see if they're noisy as in your situation.
I use a relatively cheap strat that I modded by adding a p90

IF it's a strat, I would recommend getting some copper sheilding tape and coat both the inside of the route and the underside of the pickguard. I did that with my G&L Legacy and it significantly quieted the buzz. You can get a roll of copper tape for $10 on Amazon. If you want to go the cheap route, you can use aluminum foil and double stick tape. Make sure everything is grounded, check continuity after you install it.

How many P90s did you add to your (cheap) strat? Is your strat a 2-pickup model (not the usual 3-PU style) like this one with two humbuckers?

View attachment 137021
it was originally an HSS, but it replaced the bridge humbucker with the p90. I wanted something a little more snappy. The humbucker buzzed a little bit before, but now it's a lot. I think i'm just gonna get a noisegate pedal, but it's still relatively irritating.

IF it's a strat, I would recommend getting some copper sheilding tape and coat both the inside of the route and the underside of the pickguard. I did that with my G&L Legacy and it significantly quieted the buzz. You can get a roll of copper tape for $10 on Amazon. If you want to go the cheap route, you can use aluminum foil and double stick tape. Make sure everything is grounded, check continuity after you install it.
thank you very much sir, that just saved me like 70 bucks for an mxr noisegate

As in they feedback more than say, a strat or other single coil guitar? I have heard that some non hum-bucking pickups can become microphonic where the coil is wound a little loose and the coil windings can move, making them into mics? If you tape the pickups with the volume up, or even shot into to them, does that make a noise?
they just buzz a lot. I don't mind feedback, but i want to be able to hear my guitar instead of all the humming. it probably doesnt help that i play with distortion mostly, but I got some copper sheilding tape and that significantly quieted the buzzing

A p 90 is a big single coil. It’s going to buzz more than a Tele or strat.

Shielding helps. A noise gate helps, mastering your control of the volume knob helps.

Others had mentioned installing stacked humbucker p90s. While that’s a possibility, I’ve found they don’t quite sound like ‘real’ p 90s. Nothing sounds like a good vintage p90.

Another thing to consider….. cheaper guitars have cheaper everything. I’ve heard a lot of noisy shitty sounding Chinese made p90s.

Sometimes installing a good set like Lollar’s or Lindy Fralin’s make a huge difference.

Volume control pedal could be used, just back off when not playing, you don't really notice the buzz when you're playing. I use one for swells and string or PSG type FXs but it also works to eliminate the buzz when you're idling..

Back