I'm a rap artist about to start a new album. What mic do I use?

Go to a good engineer, and have him use whatever mic he feels is most appropriate.

If you don't trust him to make that decision, then you need to find a different engineer. It's that simple.

chessrock said:
Go to a good engineer, and have him use whatever mic he feels is most appropriate.

If you don't trust him to make that decision, then you need to find a different engineer. It's that simple.

okay, my engineer is dope. You heard him mix. Problem is, he's an engineer at an L.A. voiceover studio. While the studio has great protools mixing capabilities, it only has one mic that's decent for what I do; the tlm 103. HE says we could benefit greatly from the c800g or the u87ai, but he has neither. What I'm about to do is find a studio to record at for the same price he'd charge me to record there with the tlm. Then, give him the .aiff or .wav of my vocals to mix with the tracked out music. However, I stumbled across a guy with the 149 and he says it's a better mic for what I do.

I'm asking the opinion of this board if it is a better mic for my voice/style.

again, for reference: http://www.soundclick.com/blacksoultan or
http://www.myspace.com/blacksoultanadinfinitum

I used the Neuamnn u87 for a demo I recorded. Man did it rock. I recommend it a lot.....you could always rent one too!

BlackSoultan said:
okay, my engineer is dope. You heard him mix. Problem is, he's an engineer at an L.A. voiceover studio. While the studio has great protools mixing capabilities, it only has one mic that's decent for what I do; the tlm 103. HE says we could benefit greatly from the c800g or the u87ai, but he has neither. What I'm about to do is find a studio to record at for the same price he'd charge me to record there with the tlm. Then, give him the .aiff or .wav of my vocals to mix with the tracked out music. However, I stumbled across a guy with the 149 and he says it's a better mic for what I do.

I'm asking the opinion of this board if it is a better mic for my voice/style.

again, for reference: http://www.soundclick.com/blacksoultan or
http://www.myspace.com/blacksoultanadinfinitum

Do you want a mic, or do you want a good recording? Jesus Christ. If it's just a mic you're looking for, then rent it or something.

Come on chess. Take it easy on the newb. He's a baby. Under 10 posts. Let him grow a little bit then you can give him spankings! :D

I'm sorry, but if you like what an engineer is doing, and you think his stuff sounds great ...

... but then you figure you should record with someone else because you think he might have a better microphone ...

That's just fucking retarted, and if you think that way, you should just do the world a favor and go shoot yourself. That's really how I feel about it ... and for the benefit of mankind, someone needed to say what I just said. :D

Hey soultan, welcome to the forums man. You gotta do some searching on them threads man. We've had like 50 million threads about rap mics(mine included :D ). There's plenty of audio guru's ready to rake you over the coals just by looking at the title of your thread. Please use the search function and if you can't find what you need, post in the rap beat section. We talk about mics over there too. Stay up homie!

chessrock said:
I'm sorry, but if you like what an engineer is doing, and you think his stuff sounds great ...

... but then you figure you should record with someone else because you think he might have a better microphone ...

That's just fucking retarted, and if you think that way, you should just do the world a favor and go shoot yourself. That's really how I feel about it ... and for the benefit of mankind, someone needed to say what I just said. :D

Gotta admit, chess is spot on. It's like saying to a carpenter, wow your craftsmanship is fantastic, practical yet artistic, have you thought of using a different hammer? A mic is a tool, not a magic wand.

BlackSoultan, can you not hire some high end mics and take them to your engineer?

tone_at said:
Hey soultan, welcome to the forums man. You gotta do some searching on them threads man. We've had like 50 million threads about rap mics(mine included ). There's plenty of audio guru's ready to rake you over the coals just by looking at the title of your thread. Please use the search function and if you can't find what you need, post in the rap beat section. We talk about mics over there too. Stay up homie!
tone, can we make this a sticky? Best response ever.

chessrock said:

Okay, I can say this slower if you'd like. Type in less than two syllables per word so you can figure out what I'm trying to tell you? Yeah? 'kay?

Here it is:

See spot. See spot rhyme his ass off. See spot's mixing/recording engineer suggest a neumann u87ai and/or 149. See spot only find a guy willing to record with his budget requirements. See spot's new guy have a 149.

Tell spot which one YOU think would be better out of the two.

Daniel Reichman said:
Gotta admit, chess is spot on. It's like saying to a carpenter, wow your craftsmanship is fantastic, practical yet artistic, have you thought of using a different hammer? A mic is a tool, not a magic wand.

BlackSoultan, can you not hire some high end mics and take them to your engineer?

I'm not the newbie everyone thinks I am. Yes, I can rent a mic and take it to my engineer, but that would cost extra.

I could pay 40/hr to record with the knock-off tlm103 with my engineer, or I can go to this other guy and record with his 149 and take those vocal recordings back to the same engineer as before to mix. It's the same price. The issue here therefore is for y'all to look at my music (http://www.soundclick.com/blacksoultan) and tell me IN YOUR OPINION (not my engineer's opinion, I'm sure he'll give me his) if that mic (the 149) would fit what I am trying to do. In other words, would my earlier work have been aided in using this mic as opposed to a mic like the 103?

Why the fuck is this a hard question? Do you people only get a kick out of life by yelling at others on a bulletin board?

chessrock said:
See spot think.

See spot over-think.

Then see spot talk like a dumbass.

Aww come on...I was hoping for a more harsh response from you...
You're getting soft

chessrock said:
See spot think.

See spot over-think.

Then see spot talk like a dumbass.

Yo chess, why don't you go back to measuring your d*ck up against your telefunken collection? Leave sensible people with real questions that you admittedly CANNOT answer alone.

BlackSoultan said:
Yo chess, why don't you go back to measuring your d*ck up against your telefunken collection? Leave sensible people with real questions that you admittedly CANNOT answer alone.
Why are YOU admitting that HE cannot answer them??

His response all but admits he cannot answer the question because he does not understand it. It's a simple question: all things considered equal and having heard my voice/style of music, would mic A be better than mic B. He has yet to answer it and said " but then you figure you should record with someone else because you think he might have a better microphone ..." which is not what I asked.

That's admitting you can't answer a question. If a teacher asks you 1 X A to the 3rd = Y. What's "Y"? and you respond with "that's a stupid way of thinking! Go kill yourself!" Rest assured the student is trying to hide his incapability of answering that Y=3rootA. He has no idea how to do the math.

BlackSoultan said:
Okay, I can say this slower if you'd like. Type in less than two syllables per word so you can figure out what I'm trying to tell you? Yeah? 'kay?

Here it is:

See spot. See spot rhyme his ass off. See spot's mixing/recording engineer suggest a neumann u87ai and/or 149. See spot only find a guy willing to record with his budget requirements. See spot's new guy have a 149.

Tell spot which one YOU think would be better out of the two.
I thought the big thing with you (c)rappers was about all that money you had.Shit playa,go buy yo sef a nice front end wif yo ends.
But seriously,here is a thought:a tin can and some string.

SHEPPARDB. said:
I thought the big thing with you (c)rappers was about all that money you had.Shit playa,go buy yo sef a nice front end wif yo ends.
But seriously,here is a thought:a tin can and some string.
That's not the kind of rapper I am, but the attorney in me likes to make prudent decisions before moving, if the time allows. I have until about tuesday to figure out this Mic thing. I myself will demo the mic then and come to my own conclusion. I'm just asking for a general opinion right now to see if I should even take <i>that</i> step.

On a side note:

Find somewhere else to make lewd snap racial/cultural judgements. Otherwise, suggest an answer, "homie"...

BlackSoultan said:

I've said this before and I'm sticking to it. Rhyme spittin'=58. Tangerine will back me on this.

I also measure my wang against the 58. Sadly I lose every time. :(

BlackSoultan said:
That's not the kind of rapper I am, but the attorney in me likes to make prudent decisions before moving, if the time allows. I have until about tuesday to figure out this Mic thing. I myself will demo the mic then and come to my own conclusion. I'm just asking for a general opinion right now to see if I should even take <i>that</i> step.

On a side note:

Find somewhere else to make lewd snap racial/cultural judgements. Otherwise, suggest an answer, "homie"...
O.K. counselor,here is an answer.Take some of that money that you fuck others out of and buy a mic.
Your true reason for being here was to pimp your soundclick page anyway,
so fuck off.
Sue me.

Back