I'm a Digital Newbie!

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hi Guys,

I've recently made my first venture into the Digital Conversion world and as expected I've already encountered my first, "What The....?".

I purchased an Apogee Trak2 with the D/A Option installed. Just got it delivered this weekend and when I went to see what kind of cables I needed to install this bad boy I realized I had a bit of an issue. This device only has an AES(xlr) Digital Output. My soundcard (Aardvark LX6), only has SPDIF (rca) in and out. I saw that someone recently posted the same question (I think) recently, and his solution was to buy a cable with an AES connector on one end and an SPDIF on the other. But my questions are as follows:

1) Is it that simple? Are there no differences between AES and SPDIF cables besides the connectors?

2) If there is a difference, would I lose any quality by simply buying a cable like this?

3) If I would lose quality, what are my other options in order to keep the signal integrity from my apogee into my soundcard?

Thanks in advance!

TimOBrien said:
There is no "loss of quality" whenever you are doing a straight digital transfer and everything stays in the digital realm. Bits are bits and remain unchanged.

Thanks for the info Bill. To be honest, I've never even been on Wikipedia... and I'm a big "googler", I'm surpised it's never come up before.

And BTW, For the guy who gave me a negative point for not knowing how to hook up a brand new piece of equipment (Both in the aspect of hardware and concept), I think that's totally rediculous. Just because I've never used a converter before shouldn't stop me from buying one and learning. That's exactly why I posted in the "newbie" section. Anyhow... sorry for venting. :cool:

BTW: I'm still havin issues goddamit.

Back