Im 15, and can i sing?

Hi,
Visit the music department and have an audition with the H.O.D.

In my opinion it's clear that you have an ear for pitch and timing but you have a unique technique. Your diction is very unusual during more expressive passages.
It's not apparent on the softer introduction to second clip, but it is as the thing builds, so I guess it's something you're doing whether intentional or not.

From a classical training point of view, that's probably something to be aware of and to eradicate or control.

Will you be required to take music board exams, or it is solely school exams? Either way I'd see a vocal coach.
Don't take that as a negative. Everyone else will be taking lessons for their instrument and a singer should be no different. :)

A lot may have changed in 15 years but when I did GCSE music the instrument was arguably the least important part.
Make sure you ask about the syllabus and understand that you're likely to spend most of the course studying theory, compositional techniques, and set works.

Can i get your opinion on this track, i just relaxed a little bit more and just basically free-styled the lyrics with my acoustic guitar, maybe throw at me what you think, if i can sing and if the uniqueness is working or not? I dont know if as you would say my "unique technique" will be em-brassing or humiliating when performing. I tried developing and making the listener to understand me but its hard as i have a very awkward accent

Song: https://soundcloud.com/user-246434280/sweet-one-acoustic

Ok, there are more relaxed parts my overall opinion is the same as before.
You clearly get pitch and timing but your delivery, for me, is unconventional and maybe a little awkward.
It sounds like you've no shortage of passion, though, so that's a big plus.

It doesn't really matter though if you've a a year of vocal lessons ahead of you.
At your age your technique will improve so fast with a little work.

When you say accent, do you mean geographical accent? Where are you from, out of interest?

A lot of the words are hard to make out and when you go for a more 'emotional' sound it's pretty intense. You sound distressed.
That's just one opinion though. The same description would fit Eddie Vedder.

Nope im just curious, you're using terms which i dont understand when you use them into music? Sorry, im only 15, i dont know alot about music right now.

OK, I see. They don't have special meanings in music. :)

Your delivery, to me, sounds overdone, stressed, pushed too hard, exaggerated...That sort of thing,
but your basic pitch and timing are pretty good.
With practice and guidance...yes, I think you'll do fine.

Like I say, if you're serious you'll be seeing a vocal coach whose job it is to teach you all this stuff. :)

Instruments are a bit too loud so I can't actually hear your voice as well as I'd like to give a thorough assessment. That said, I believe I hear potential in your voice. Tone seems good for soft rock type songs. However, some pitch problems, breath support issues, and sounds like you're reaching for notes rather than coming into them (a problem I have myself so we're all in this together don't worry).

What's great about your situation, and others may disagree with me, but I feel since you are young, getting a vocal coach can provide tremendous voice since your voice should still be more malleable. Similar to how I feel it is easier to learn new languages when someone is young, I feel being able to learn the language of music from a vocal perspective can be much less difficult if you start young.

On a strictly grammatical level you have asked a question that would, in most instances, be answered with a qualified yes. If you can speak with any degree of inflection you should be able to sing across that level of intonation achieved in speaking.
Varying pitch, volume & beat & rhythm across those notes will help convey expression and mimic emotion.
I can sing - only across three notes and even then rather poorly. I'm safer with monotone.
Now, if you ask is your singing voice pleasing to the ear, expressive or dynamic in a good way that will depend on the listener.
What you need to do is decide if you want to sing and then go about acquiring the skills to do so well. For most folk it's the eternal balance of input = output and I don't mean air gulped.
When you can learn to tune your guitar accurately, (preferably by ear), you'll be on the way to singing in tune with it and from there develop a singing voice that can work with instruments and other voices.

Back