I'll be the guinea pig - Delta 66 & nforce 415D

db51

In a few days I'll be buying a new computer which will be used mainly as a DAW, with my delta 66 card and Nuendo

I've been researching motherboards for the last 3 weeks, and now my mind is set on an Nforce mobo (the Asus A7266-C, using a 415D chipset, no onboard graphics card).

I found very little feedback on nforce mobos as few people seem to have dared to take the leap and still buy mobos with via chipsets... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I emailed M-Audio, they said the only known issues were with Via chipsets, so I should be fine...

There have been reports of some incredible results with the MSI K7N266 which uses the nforce 420D chipset :
http://www.digitalnaturalsound.com/logic_dsp/msg/669.html
Logic running 46 platinum Verbs!

http://www.digitalnaturalsound.com/logic_dsp/msg/702.html
Logic running 41 platinum verbs!

Really I've only heard good things on this board so far, so unless you somehow talk me out of it, I'll buy it!

:D

Go guinea pig.

I'm thinking of moving over to AMD shortly. I've been contemplating using the SIS chipsets as they have been getting good results with this config. I will be VERY interested in your results as I use a M-Audio product and Nuendo as well.

Please let me know how it goes!

I just subscribed to this thread. Please post results, I'm on the Via KT 266 A chipset now, so between the three of us we should have all Athlon chipsets for audio tested...

On a side note, I think I'm making my first real steps into a band today, hope it goes well. I've been playing alone for too long now...

Sang

For what it's worth, I picked up the delta 66 last night and I have the MSI K7T266 (VIA). I only spent a couple of minutes on it, but it's not working yet... :rolleyes:

please don't tell me I'm a guinea pig too :( Although you guys will have tested yours until I get mine so if your results are not good then I'll have to reconsider my mobo decision a 3rd time...well they always 3rd times a charm.

Ouch!

Lopp, that's a KT266 (ie not the revised KT266A ) chipset, isn't it?

Good luck, tell us how it goes!

oups I double-posted...

I'll be buying a new mobo + cpu + ram tomorrow (friday) or next monday...

Re: Ouch!

db51 said:
Lopp, that's a KT266 (ie not the revised KT266A ) chipset, isn't it?

It's the MSI K7T266Pro2 VIA(A).

Good luck, tell us how it goes!

Thanks. I can't wait to get outta here to get back to it!
Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow. ;)

The good, the bad, and the ugly

The good:

Got the Delta 66 working last night with hardly a glitch. I had to scroll in their mixer control panel go find the right fader for the input levels. Recorded a quick track of vocal stupidity. Everything sounds nice and clean so far.

The bad:
Whenever I open the Delta 66 mixer control panel, a window pops up entitled "A BAD ONE" with no further explanation. After closing the window, everything seems to work fine. I e-mailed their product support mid-day yesterday and still have no response.

The ugly:
Their web page is terribly slow... Well spank my ass... As I was typing this, I decided to go to their web page again. Everything popped up nice and fairly quick. Yesterday, I tried it through two different accounts at different locations and half the pages wouldn't load because it was too slow.

Now that I have the Win ME driver from their web page, I'll install it this weekend to see if that fixes the "A BAD ONE" message.

Overall, everything sounds good so far.

Matt

Heh. I think that M-Audio probably has some decent programmers, but I don't think they're backed up by a decent quality system. "A Bad One" is a sure sign of a bad or understaffed/underfunded quality assurance / lifecycle development program. A lot of the code that I've had to write in a hurry contains goofy shit like that...it's usually not the programmers fault as much as it is the fault of the surrounding circumstances.

I've been having trouble with their website too for what it's worth.

Blab blab blab. Good luck to ya!

Slackmaster 2000

Wow!!!

I bought the Asus A7N266-C (nvidia nforce 415D chipset) today with an XP1700+ and 256 Mb DDR-SDRAM, as an upgrade from my PIII 500 on an Elite board using a Via chipset ....

No problems at all so far, all software and hardware (including the Delta 66) installed fine
I haven't recorded anything yet, but I opened up Nuendo to playback my current project. It was recorded under my previous setup, and only has 11 tracks so far, at 44.1kHz 32bit float.
I added some Waves RCL on every track + 1 Waves Rverb + 2 Nuendo verbs. It's not a lot but it's a lot more than my old system could handle. It plays flawlesly on my new setup!

So far, no incompatibilities, no problems at all, the whole system has been very stable for the 5 hours its been up :)

My system:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (not overclocked)
A7N266-C (nforce 415D chipset, disabled integrated soundcard)
Thermal take Volcano 7
Enermax 430w PS
1x 256 DDR Ram (I'm not using the Twinbank which gives 4.2Gb of memory bandwith yet...)
Ati Radeon 7500 64Mb DDR (built by ATI)
IBM 40Gb 60GXP
Ricoh CD/RW
USB Alcatel Speedtouch modem

On the PCI slots:
- realnetwork LAN card (this machine is also being used as a server for now)
- Delta 66

Doh!

I'm using a realtek rtl8029 network card. Can't believe I wrote realnetworks...that's subliminal messaging for you...

Howyadoin,

Hey db, I noticed the mongo 430W power supply... is there a reason for that much output as opposed to a 300W? Does the Delta draw a ton 'o power?

Thanks!

I had a cheap no-name 300w power supply (that came with the case) which broke down after 6 months and would cause my computer (a PIII 500Mhz back then) to randomly reboot.
I went shopping for a *quality* power supply (ie Enermax, Antec...) and, as there was little difference in price between the 350w and the 430w model, I went for the latter.

A *quality* 300w power supply is a *must* if your going with a 1Ghz+ processor, as an uneven power flow could cause your system to be unstable

Thanks for the update db51, I should have subscribed to this thread cause I went looking for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Happy to hear the Nvidia is working for you. I'm going with the SIS chipset tommorow and will post the results, good or bad. (hopefully all good).

Back