If YOU were building a new studio what would be the best floorplan/shape/etc?

Manor Music

I am ready to build my new studio...
and get out of the garage for a while.

The studio will stand alone on it's own piece of dirt...
and not built in an existing building but instead on it's own foundation.

Since I get to design and build the thing I want your inputs...
square/rectangle/a-frame or slant roof?
Geodesic dome?
Special materials?
incorporating architecture to suit my acoustic situation

I could afford to buy lumber for a structure with a 20x20 floor (if I build a square).
That will get a roof over my head (shingles? tor a Texas tin roof?}

later...after I get the walls and roof up I want to incorporate a booth to isolate drums and/or vocals....
It would be nice to isolate noisy computers and equipment as well

Frankly I am looking for your ideas....maybe your links...fotos...Maybe you built something from the ground up---I'd like to see it.
Thx
G.

Planning is much more important than the building -

I suggest you start with a visit to your local Building Inspection Department. They will tell you whether or not you can actually ADD a building to your property.

Sent from a cell tower monitored by the NSA

Youbetcha. Captain Alexander is always looking for new ideas for his good ship USS NSA bridge. Swishing doors are like so passe'. Wait till he get's a load of lava lamps.

:D

G.

I recommend that you figure how much area you CAN use, then calculate the best room dimension for your purpose. Good modal distribution starts here. Go as high as you can - don't get stuck with 8 or 9 feet - go for at least 11' finished interior height. It should have a rectangular shell.

A drum room will require HIGH isolation in a residential area, i. e.; better than 70 dB STL. Ideally the room should be asymmetrical.

Domes make poor acoustical spaces if they are not severely treated.

No tin roofs. You will need mass for best sound proofing.

Get us a drawing of the area involved and your ideas. ;_
Cheers,
john

Back