If you suck, at least be loud and kick some ass (reviving highschool "oldies")

Chibi Nappa

If you suck, at least be loud and kick some ass (reviving highschool "oldies")

I posted some songs from this project earlier, and here's another one.

Now that I have recording skills that I didn't have 10 years ago, I got the front man of my old highschool band to collaborate on a recording project to bring back the old songs.

Our band used to really suck.

The front man still can't sing worth a damn.

The lyrics are increadibly childish.

But hey...at least the song's really f'n loud. :D

I will say one thing for this recording: The guitar and drum sounds kick all kinds of ass (in my not-so-humble opinion). When the song kicks in, it really kicks in. Turn your speakers way up for full effect. :)

The mix is a little rough (that bass could stand to go down). The song is called "Forget". Watch out for the kiddies. Naughty words abound in this one. All in all it's some stupid fun.

Whoa! Something happened to your mp3. It played until about 1:35 and then just stuttered to a stop and died.... :confused:

I am going to try and download it and see what happens...

EDIT: it stopped at 1:20.... :confused:

Tell me that wasn't on purpose?

Rokket said:
Whoa! Something happened to your mp3. It played until about 1:35 and then just stuttered to a stop and died.... :confused:

I am going to try and download it and see what happens...

EDIT: it stopped at 1:20.... :confused:

Tell me that wasn't on purpose?
That's odd... The song should be about 2:10 long. The download works for me. Is anybody else having this problem? If it is happening to everybody I'll re-upload it.

The problem might be that it is variable bit rate.

Chibi Nappa said:
That's odd... The song should be about 2:10 long. The download works for me. Is anybody else having this problem? If it is happening to everybody I'll re-upload it.

The problem might be that it is variable bit rate.
I dunno, I guess you will have to wait until someone else chimes in.

FWIW, the curse words aside, it was a cool tune...

It played all the way through for me. Kind of Green Day meets the Ramones. Give me that vocal track and I can can tune him right up. :D I dig the ryhthm guitar tone. What amp/guitar?

Track Rat said:
It played all the way through for me. Kind of Green Day meets the Ramones. Give me that vocal track and I can can tune him right up. :D I dig the ryhthm guitar tone. What amp/guitar?
It would be a God-send if I could get some auto-tuning on that vox track! :)

Here's the deal with the guitars: The accoustic is a Norman. I don't know the model number, but it's the best "budget" ($300) accoustic I've ever seen. I mic'ed it with a Studio Projects C1 from about a foot out and tried to pick up more string percussion than I usually do to cut through the electrics.

The electrics are all played with a crappy Honer Strat. It happens to be the original guitar used in the band and we were going for authenticity....well, that and the nice Paul Reed Smith guitar we had wasn't intonated properly. :p

We didn't have crap for amps outside of a nice bass head (I'll get the model number) and one Marshal cab. Since that wouldn't get us a distortion sound I used the on-board amp simulators in my Roland 2480 effects board and ran that out to the bass amp w/ Marshal cab. Two tracks were mic'ed with an SM 57 (moved to a different speaker cone for the second track). Those were the main left and right guitars. One track was a Seinheiser 609e. That is a guitar playing power chords mixed real low in the center. The last track was an AKG C1000. That track is playing a riff panned left and mixed low.

In general there was much tweaking of the amp sims, much fussing with the guitar tone knobs and pickup selectors, and a whole bunch of mic moving. One thing I gotta' say is I still love the ol' SM57 on electrics. Sometimes you can't beat the classics.

Back