If you have a few minutes: equal time for other daughter

TomD

I've posted songs from my oldest daughter a few times on here in the past, including the thread about 4 track tapes..,,

Time to give equal time to next daughter..

She just got married, wanted to record a song for her fiance, to be played at the wedding. She picked his favorite song. He knew nothing of it, was a surprise she had planned.. the pressure was on her to so something good..

This isn't a song I would turn up the radio to hear... but she blew me away with this...

I walked her down the isle with this playing. Then later, she played it again for the father/daughter dance for me at the reception... When the DJ played it, we were talking,, and I didn't realise it was her until, well... if you do choose to check it out, you will know when :)

Just a piano, and her...

Edit: I forgot to add, she did record it here in my home studio..

Thanks!

Nice pretty lady voice ...

Piano sounds great, I would guess it's real, or a very nice sample.
Piano is mixed to seem as though it is indeed ... in the background.

Your daughter has a fabulous voice.
Intonation is excellent, without being 'artificially perfect' ;-)
Harmony vocals are tight , like they are locked together.
The three part harmony is really nice.
Very nice performance and nice mixing.

Does your daughter have perfect pitch ?

IMHO, the harmony, (backup), vocals should have the tops rolled off a touch, their is a little 'nose-edge' when the volume peaks in her 'swells', and the lead vocal could sit on top a touch better if the other vocals were EQ'd just a touch.

I'm listening straight through a nice digital Audiocard with Sony MDR-7506, flat no EQ, from Windows Media Player.

I imagine the original WAV file sounds just about incredible, very pretty.

Lucky groom, looks like he caught his star.

She has a beautiful voice, very rich and full with lots of vibrato...

You should be very proud...

If she's not, she should be singing professionally...

I've always loved that song too, good choice....

:)

Thanks for the listens everyone.

studioviols, yes the piano was real. Actually, it was some kind of 88 key electronic piano, very nice instrument. It had stereo line out, so I just lined it into my Delta card. Didn't have to touch EQ or anything on it. Good point on the EQing. I guess I hadn't noticed how much the lead gets buried in the mix when all those harmonies kick in. Thank you for picking that up..
I don't think she has perfect pitch.. not sure. she sings on pitch well most of the time. If she has an off day, she will miss notes like anyone else. We have a little country. country gospel, and light rock combo, where both daughters and my wife are the front singers. They do very well together harmony wise. This daughter, Kim, does most of the high parts and some lead.
Yeah, Charlie was pretty surprised when they played that at the wedding. her point was made :)

Kelly, thank you. She isn't a pro at all. In fact, the piano part was on a track something like 2 months before she was able to get her first part sung.. Kim had one heck of a time getting that lead part the way she wanted it. Finally, we pulled a trick that made it easy for her... Sonya, older daughter, with no pressure on her, sang it and recorded the lead part. Kim was listening to her sing, and matching her in the phones.. Then we muted that first track. Don't think she would have gotten it without that. Then she added the harmonies one, two, three. in like an hour...

I'm very proud of both of them, and not just for their singing.. But it's very cool that they have music too. A real nice bond we have through music.. She is used to Sonya getting all the raves, so it was nice to see her nail this one. A real ego boost for her.

Thank you for the listens and comments. I will share this thread with her.

Very nice

truely wonderful voice..

Ok now for the picky stuff.

The biggest problem is the vocal phrasing. I think the phrasing is too broken up. There are quite a few spots where the the phrase should have been finished instead of a breath i.e.

"...love/breath/ is like ...." should be "...love is like.../breath/"

Also some of the sibilence is a bit much at times.

Note, this is being VERY picky.

Very nice singing, the piano is great and the harmonies were great.

pno...

Very nice voice...

lip-smacking, and some "plosives" on the vocal mics (could be edited out)...

Neat harmonies! Great talent.

Ah... that contemporary 70's sound :)

Excellent choice as a wedding song. Would like to hear the piano spread out over the stereo stage... & some more definition on it, too... sounds a little too dark, maybe. Some more "sparkle" on PNO and it's a perfect 11.

Really sweet.

Chad

Back