If you HAD to make a choice??

JesusFreak

Hey all,

I'm going to be buying VERY soon a vocal processor. I like the things like stereo doubling and de-essing and some of the other features that they come with. Mic modeling and pitch correction are secondary issues but still might be neat to get some different sounds out of my limited mic selection.

Anyway, I'm looking at these two:

Antares Vocal Producer
TC Helicon Voiceworks Vocal Processor

I've spent the last few hours reading through the archives here and searching the internet for reviews which seem to be more full of marketing hype than real life experience.

Basically I'm looking for which one you would have and why??

Any help as soon as possible would be helpfull. Thanks and God Bless!

My first suggestion would be to find a music store and try them out for yourself, if at all possible. No amount of internet research can equal that.

That said, if you are going for a digital vocal processor, I really like the TC Helicon. While I don't own one, I've checked it out and liked the sounds and interface.

I would answer your question with "neither".....!

There is no reason to buy a "vocal producer".... you can get any of those effects by using multi-effects units.

As for mic modelling - that's a load of crap... use it as a coloration tool as you might EQ, but "modelling" is nonsense - an SM57 ain't gonna sound like A Neumann no matter how many samples they compared!

As for the de-essing -- the only units that are flexiible enough to be worthwhile are the single-function rack units -- I've yet to hear a de-esser on a multi-function piece of gear actually be useful.

And the pitch control/changes a la Antares Auto-tune are worthless on the h/w versions -- the s/w plug-in is the only one that has the flexibility needed to be functional.

Really - you can spend your money so much more wisely on another unit than these do-all "vocal processors" that are really do-all-but-not-well-enough-to-be-useful. They really are a waste.

Look at a Harmonizer such as the Eventide Orville -- you'll get so much more out of it!

Re: I would answer your question with "neither".....!

Blue Bear Sound said:
There is no reason to buy a "vocal producer".... you can get any of those effects by using multi-effects units.

As for mic modelling - that's a load of crap... use it as a coloration tool as you might EQ, but "modelling" is nonsense - an SM57 ain't gonna sound like A Neumann no matter how many samples they compared!

As for the de-essing -- the only units that are flexiible enough to be worthwhile are the single-function rack units -- I've yet to hear a de-esser on a multi-function piece of gear actually be useful.

And the pitch control/changes a la Antares Auto-tune are worthless on the h/w versions -- the s/w plug-in is the only one that has the flexibility needed to be functional.

Really - you can spend your money so much more wisely on another unit than these do-all "vocal processors" that are really do-all-but-not-well-enough-to-be-useful. They really are a waste.

Look at a Harmonizer such as the Eventide Orville -- you'll get so much more out of it!

Bruce,

As always, I appreciate your response. Let me then ask you a rephrased question then. If you had $700 - $800 to spend to make a "noticeable" difference in your vocals (keeping in mind I'm just a home rec'er), what would you buy. Are there two or three things that would make a "noticable" difference??

Thanks again.

Re: Re: I would answer your question with "neither".....!

JesusFreak said:
... If you had $700 - $800 to spend to make a "noticeable" difference in your vocals... what would you buy.
Vocal Lessons.

:p

Re: Re: I would answer your question with "neither".....!

JesusFreak said:
Bruce,

As always, I appreciate your response. Let me then ask you a rephrased question then. If you had $700 - $800 to spend to make a "noticeable" difference in your vocals (keeping in mind I'm just a home rec'er), what would you buy. Are there two or three things that would make a "noticable" difference??

Thanks again.
You have to look at what you consider the weak point to be in your vocal recording chain as it is now, and decide from there!

Adding "effects" won't do a bloody thing for you're not capturing the sound properly right from the source!

I'd get a good mic pre and a good, cheap FX box. For FX on a budget I like TC Electronics M300. With the other $500, buy a Grace 101.-Richie

Hey All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It is very much appreciated.

A little update:

I took Bruce's words to heart and tried to think of other ways I could make my vocals sound "more professional" without using either of the two box's.

So I go to my local music store and the guy has an Antares unit there that is open and he tells me, "just take it home, use it. If you don't like it, bring it back".

I figured that I would do that just so I had first hand experience with it that might be helpfull for others.

Well, it took me all of about 30 min to decide that this thing would have been a total waste of money if I had decided to buy it. The mic models appear to be a joke in that you could probably get the same sounds just by changing some mic position and messing with your mic pre a little.

Most of the other stuff, I can do and do better on my D1600.

So anyway, back to the drawing board. I'm thinking of starting to build a live setup for me so that when I do finish my CD I'll have the equipment to get out there and play.

Also, I do appreciate your guy's advice on other equipment that you think could help. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

Back