If you could sound like anyone...?

BroKen_H

Re-member
Who are your influences? If your voice could be transformed into someone else's who would it be and why?
Now I'd like to start by saying I like my own voice. I wish I could spend more time on scales and intonation so I sounded better, but overall, it's OK.
I have always admired having a large range (my falsetto sounds like Mr. Moose gargling), so I like singers like Michael Sweet, David Phelps and Miljenko Matijevic. I like vocalists with different vocal sounds that still have great control, like Skillet's John Cooper or Jeff Scott Soto.
But, bottom line, if I could sound like anyone: pure, raucous, vocal talent...Dio.

As lame and narcissistic as it sounds, mine. I don't want anybody else's voice because, luckily, I'm comfortable in my own. There are people who's voices I admire and if I had to give up mine for another, I'd choose Mark Mothersbaugh's.

I bought a guitar amp from him a couple of years ago....a Swart SST 30. :cool:

I'm sure it was a sweet Swart.

Not sure who I'd want to sound like, but if I had to BE somebody, I'd probably pick Peter Gabriel. That man is SO talented and creative. Deep, too.

Who are your influences? If your voice could be transformed into someone else's who would it be and why?
Now I'd like to start by saying I like my own voice. I wish I could spend more time on scales and intonation so I sounded better, but overall, it's OK.
I have always admired having a large range (my falsetto sounds like Mr. Moose gargling), so I like singers like Michael Sweet, David Phelps and Miljenko Matijevic. I like vocalists with different vocal sounds that still have great control, like Skillet's John Cooper or Jeff Scott Soto.
But, bottom line, if I could sound like anyone: pure, raucous, vocal talent...Dio.

I've seen John Cooper live a few times. I don't honestly know how his vocal chords and stuff can take that night after night but it sounds pretty awesome.

I'd probably pick Matthew Bellamy from Muse or Steve Perry. They're both pretty sick. I'd like a little more grit though.

I use to do a pretty good Tom Waits....but I could only stick with it for little while, it would mess up my vocal cords. :D

As lame and narcissistic as it sounds, mine. I don't want anybody else's voice because, luckily, I'm comfortable in my own. There are people who's voices I admire and if I had to give up mine for another, I'd choose ...

This.

Except... I'm not sure whose voice I'd take. Michael Kiske?

Yeah, it seems like a more healthy and realistic thing to want to sound more like oneself,.....me, a more consistently better me.

Otherwise, probably somewhere between Paul Rodgers and, um, Art Garfunkel. :o

I'm sure it was a sweet Swart.

Not sure who I'd want to sound like, but if I had to BE somebody, I'd probably pick Peter Gabriel. That man is SO talented and creative. Deep, too.

You're supposed to say, its cold, and then deep too.

Yeah, it seems like a more healthy and realistic thing to want to sound more like oneself,.....me, a more consistently better me.

Otherwise, probably somewhere between Paul Rodgers and, um, Art Garfunkel. :o

Dude, the guy who made the sound track to your avatar, Harry Nilsson! Great voice. Range and style, Lime in the Cocoanut was all his voice. I would give up my voice for his. No issues.

Right? Sure it's good to be influenced by great musicians, but ultimately you want to be the best YOU that you can be.

Dude, the guy who made the sound track to your avatar, Harry Nilsson! Great voice. Range and style, Lime in the Cocoanut was all his voice. I would give up my voice for his. No issues.

Absolutely. And he had heaps of smooth control. There's a live youtube clip (which i'll resist posting) out there of him singing a song Without Her(not to be confused with Without You), just him and an acoustic doing a bit of vocal gymnastics and exhibiting some serious breath control. One of the few of that day who could/would make McCartney envious.

VHS said:
Right? Sure it's good to be influenced by great musicians, but ultimately you want to be the best YOU that you can be.

To get the most all around rewards out of your potential vocal abilities I would think it is a must to not try to sound like anyone but yourself. I've known guys, excellent vocalists, who became very discouraged and withered when it came to doing original tunes. It was like they had lost their identity, as someone else.

Up until my early 20s, I didn't really think I could sing and used to wish I sounded like a variety of singers without ever wanting to sound like anyone in particular.
But from the moment I discovered my voice and actually grew to like it and express it knowing that there isn't a soul on this planet that sounds like me {or at least, not one I've heard} however lame or wondrous that may be, there isn't a being, let alone a singer, that I'd want to sound like.
Funnilly, it was hearing this drunken Scot singing in church meetings with such abandon that led to me really finding my voice. He had an awful voice, in the years I knew him, I only saw him sober once, when he was in hospital, but he sang with such abandon and lack of awareness of others' disdain, it encouraged me to do likewise. And thereafter any thoughts of sounding like someone else, like industrial waste, got canned and slung deep into some far flung mythic ocean.....

Back