If you could add 1 thing

Absolutepower

If you could add 1 item to your studio free of charge what would it be. 2 rules though.
1. You can never resell it, must keep it for life.
2. No consoles, has to be a specific use piece of gear.

For me it would be a high end LDC probably. What brand? I have no f'in idea because I've never tried any of them out before, I'd have to do some research. 2nd choice would be a high end reverb.

Is an acoustic treatment designed and installed by Sandy Brown Associates specific enough for purposes of this thread? I think that would do more for me than any new bit of electronics....

Is an acoustic treatment designed and installed by Sandy Brown Associates specific enough for purposes of this thread? I think that would do more for me than any new bit of electronics....

+1

Room treatment is all I'm really lacking.

If you could add 1 item to your studio free of charge what would it be.

About a 30'x60' addition to become a live room, designed and built by some HQ acoustics design firm. :D

AFA "gear"...(why isn't a console a "specific use piece of gear"...???)...if not a console, then a 24-channel 2" Studer tape deck, in brand-new condition. :cool:

You'd still be fixing it all the time...

I have a lesser quality 16-track deck and also a 2-track mixdown deck...
...and I can't recall the last time I ever had to "fix" anything on them.

Good quality decks really DON'T break down a lot or need daily fixing, unless you get a used one that's seen a million hours in some 24/7 studio setting.
Mine were bought new (the 16-track deck is 21 years old this month :cool: ) and all I ever did was to clean them occasionally check the calibration, and most of all, not abuse them.
I'm sure a new Studer would last me a lifetime without the need to "fix" anything.

I would add Andrew Jackson (the guy who did pink floyd) to my studio. That way he could mentor me and teach me how to be a boss at engineering. :D

Drew

Yeah in fact that's probably the smartest choice of all. A full on professional room treatment job.

not a piece of gear, but i'd add space.

Working out of a garage where you can feel a draft from the traffic is just no good.

I would add a collaborator (a colleague, a musical partner). I am an ideas person but most ideas need someone else to bounce ideas off of to throw out the bad ones and improve the good ones so that we end up with worthwhile songs.

The realist in me would want to say acoustic treatment, top of the line. But there's something in me that is just screaming an MPC2000XL. I've always been in love with this machine. It's my favorite of the MPC's, and I've always wanted one. Now I have the Native Instruments Maschine, which I love to death, don't get me wrong. But I suppose I'll always have my eyes set on that 2000Xl. The ugly, rugged, original version too. Not the nice looking orange one, or the cool looking blue one. No I want the plain looking, nothing special about this thing looking, grey one. I'm not even sure that I could integrate it into my production workflow, but I would make it work somehow.

A futuristic force-field that blocks all sound from outside the studio. My place is on a major bus route, with the studio being the room closest to the street. In a few days I'm moving to another place, across the street from a school so I'll have to get used to the bell schedule.

Back