if I bought a Shure SM57.....

rxQueen

can I plug it directly into my DI box (Tascam US-122) and into the computer or would I need a mic pre-amp right after the mic?

also, what's a good mic pre-amp that has a USB interface for a home studio (i'm on a budget)

thanks

that thing has two preamps, notice the little knobs that say input 1 and input 2 on them? It even has phantom power for condensors. It's funny that you ask for a good usb preamp when you already have one.

No worries....get recording.

jake-owa said:
that thing has two preamps, notice the little knobs that say input 1 and input 2 on them? It even has phantom power for condensors. It's funny that you ask for a good usb preamp when you already have one.

No worries....get recording.

but I wanna plug my mic into it and ditch my V-Amp 2. i want to know if I can plug the mic into the Tascam US-122 directly.

rxQueen said:
but I wanna plug my mic into it and ditch my V-Amp 2. i want to know if I can plug the mic into the Tascam US-122 directly.

yeah the 122 is meant to have dirrect inputs. if your mic is a condenser then use the phantom power.

you dont need the v-amp 2 to put your mic into the 122 man.

----
so yeah, the sm57 will do fine. just make sure its the mic you want!

hrwmusic said:
if your mic is a condenser then use the phantom power.
QUOTE]

SM57 doesn't require phantom power, you're fine. Outboard preamps are usually of a better quality than what you would get with a board, which you don't seem to be using, going directly into "the box" and mixing there too I assume. Don't know much about the particular model, but TASCAM has some decent preamps considering the price range, but if you really want a WOW from where you are, get an outboard pre for around $200 new. This is nowhere near the "professional" range you will read about here, but if you get one of the better budget pres, you will definitely hear the difference. Condensor mic would be next, but the SM57 should last you a bit. They are great mic, but there are some budget condensors for less money that would sound better on vox. MXL gets a lot of hype and apparently has walks the walk. Do a search. SM57 mics are great, though!

Back