Idiot's Guide to plug-in's please!

Jenny73

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this home recording malarky and am loving it despite not really having a clue what I'm doing at the moment :o

I bought Logic Express 8 a couple of years back but have only really got into using it properly these last few months.
I didn't go for the Logic Pro as I thought I'd never really use/need any of the add on options.
However, it's looking like I definitely do as despite being able to get so far, well, you can only get so far with Logic Express.

So, I think my first thing would be to update to Logic Pro but then I have a question re plugins....

I know a few sound engineers near where I live and that's all they ever seem to talk about...
And when they've got a new pack, you don't see them for a few weeks!

I've even got to the point now where I'm wondering if the "best" sound engineers around here are simply those that have the best plugins?!

Is that me being unfair?!

Also, how do they work exactly?

Do I buy them virtually? i.e. online.

And then once they're on my computer, how do I get them to open in Logic?!

Should I upgrade Logic before doing anything else?

Thanks all!

You will be getting lots of no-doubt silly questions from me in the coming weeks!

A plug-in is just a effect (or virtual instrument). Reverb, EQ, compression, etc. You load the software into the VST folder in your hardrive programs section (assuming PC, not sure about Mac), tell the DAW to go check for new plug-ins, then just add the plug-in as an FX on the track.

I've even got to the point now where I'm wondering if the "best" sound engineers around here are simply those that have the best plugins?!!
I would dis-abuse myself of that ridiculous notion as soon as possible. :D

There a thousands of kids with the best and most expensive cracked software calling themselves "producers", and even more often "producah's" who couldn't mix a cake even if it only had one ingredient.

I would dis-abuse myself of that ridiculous notion as soon as possible. :D

There a thousands of kids with the best and most expensive cracked software calling themselves "producers", and even more often "producah's" who couldn't mix a cake even if it only had one ingredient.

Will do, but it sounds like you've met the same breed I have then ;-)

'Tis definitely the person running the gear rather than the gear that makes the best sound. I've heard plenty of awesome mixes done on crap gear and plenty of horrendous mixes done with the best of the best. ;)

I've even got to the point now where I'm wondering if the "best" sound engineers around here are simply those that have the best plugins?!

If you decide to go with logic just make sure the plugin or package you want to buy is available in what is called Audio Units (or AU is usually what it's labeled) format as that is what logic uses.

AU plugins are easier to find than RTAS, but not quite as common as VST. That doesn't really matter though, you just need to know that you need AU plugins for Logic.

Plugins are super personal in terms of what people like though. There really isn't a best per say, just different flavors and tons of them.

Thanks everyone!

I think I had the idea that plug-ins were more pre-sets or a combination of effects as opposed to stand-alone effects.
I guess there are both?

I'm not a massive fan of the reverbs I got for free with logic express. Perhaps there are better ones on the pro one for a start.

Thanks for the tip on AU!
I need to upgrade to Pro before I start trying to find some in any case.

I hated every freeware reverb I tried. I was using free plugs for about two years, and I got it in my head that reverb is just bad. I'd use a tiny bit on vsti's, but I'd record vocals in omni mode to get natural reverb going.

Then I bought a UAD-1 card, one of the first plugs I got was the EMT 140 reverb, and dear god I love that thing. Its gorgeous sounding, and I have to restrain myself from over using it.

Generally you can find some nice free plugs for most effects (check out Bootsy's plugins) but reverb you may have to invest a little in.

For an excellent and very affordable reverb try Valhalla's...i think their plug ins are round $50 and great quality

Maybe i'm wrong, but in my head Logic Express 8 doesn't have "Space Designer" which is Logic Pro's main convolution reverb and is pretty ace for a stock plugin. I was very lucky that work got me Altiverb 6 which is outstanding but every now and then i still go back to Space Designer as there's some cool verbs in it IMO

Maybe i'm wrong, but in my head Logic Express 8 doesn't have "Space Designer" which is Logic Pro's main convolution reverb and is pretty ace for a stock plugin.

Yes, that's correct. I just have the others which aren't great.
I've seen other people using the Space Designer on tutorial mixing videos on youtube.
It must come with the Pro version.

Back