Identifying Standing Waves

asulger

Here's a method I haven't seen anyone talk about - I think it helped me with room treatments, or more specifically, finding a correct place to record in a room. I happened to notice in frequency spectrums of recordings in the room that every note would have a 91 hz component. Calculations showed that a wdith of 16 feet 9 inches would have a 3rd order node at 101 hz and I figured the irregular walls or my own bad measuring might explain the difference. Anyway, it seemed worth trying, so I moved my recording spot about 2 feet to the left and, voila, no more 91 hz component.
Lately now I tend to spot check recordings to see if there are any frequency peaks that are 'too' consistent.
Does this sound reasonable to you all or am I chewing the wrong mushrooms?
Art

Moving speakers to smooth room response is absolutely a valid thing to do. Normally it's done front to back instead of side to side. Keeping things somewhat symmetric left to right is important. If it's a really wide room, a foot or 2 is probably OK.

Are you sure it's speaker position and not listening position (still centered between them I assume) that changed things?

bpape said:
Moving speakers to smooth room response is absolutely a valid thing to do. Normally it's done front to back instead of side to side. Keeping things somewhat symmetric left to right is important. If it's a really wide room, a foot or 2 is probably OK.

Are you sure it's speaker position and not listening position (still centered between them I assume) that changed things?

It sounds to me like he's working for mic placement in a live room - not a listening position in the control room.

Rod

I happened to notice in frequency spectrums of recordings in the room that every note would have a 91 hz component.
If you hear a frequency, wouldn't that impy its a TRAVELING wave. How can you hear a wave if its...standing ? :eek: :p Hell, for that matter, how can it be a "wave" if its ...standing? :eek: :confused: :D (just pointin out oxymorons and haven fun guys)

Rod Gervais said:
It sounds to me like he's working for mic placement in a live room - not a listening position in the control room.

Rod
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear about this. I'm recording a guitar. I'm looking for the best spot.
First I tried putting a speaker in the guitarist's seat and running sine wave sweeps, but I never did find a problem that was there. I'm not sure why.
Later when I examined actual guitarist recordings made in that spot I could easily identify the 91 hertz frequency in every slice of music.
Rick,
Maybe it's not a standing wave. What do you call a resonance that is audible in one point on the floor and not audible at another point.?
Art

Back