Identify this Analogue Perussion Machine...

YooDooRight

Can any vintage gear enthusiasts help me identify a drum machine from the early/mid 70's?

I'm looking to re-create that 'brash' analogue percussion machine sound that bands like Suicide, Harmonia, Kraftwerk and Brian Eno used. I've had various suggestions (Bently Rhythm Ace, Korg Minipops, Roland CR-68 ec) but after downloading samples into Logic, none of them seem quite right.

If you search for 'Veteranissimo' on the itunes store you can hear a free snippet of Harmonia using this very drum machine.

There are also some free Suicide samples here:
http://mog.com/music/Suicide

I've tried creating my own using Korg Minipops samples i downloaded but im missing that harsh shaker/hihat sound that is typical of these bands and the overall analogue compression factor is also lost... my results are typically flat and lifeless sounding. How can i recreate this machine on a Mac with all its cheap analogue charm?

YDR

YooDooRight said:
a drum machine from the early/mid 70's?

How can i recreate this machine ...
The only way to do it is: as shown on attached photo. Here's zoom in.

YooDooRight said:
....on a Mac
Forget about it.
enjoy the mac as is, use it for eMail, download iTunes, shop on-line and stuff like that ;) :D

Attachments

• drum_synth_experiment_sm.jpg
    drum_synth_experiment_sm.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
okay forget the mac thing, its just a means to an end as i need this drum sound for an impending recording session. Maybe i can hire the real thing if someone can still tell me what machine it is?

thanks,

YDR

Get this: http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?584
have fun :D
If you want a sound from 70s you'd have to deal with resistors, caps, transistors and stuff. That is not a some sort of joke. It is the answer to you question: "How to recreate".
You want to actually sound like Kraftwerk?, then do what they were doing. That is the only way.
If you don't feel like it, then use what's provided.
Just remember, that what you hear in any 70s' mix can not be achieved by digital mixing of individually sampled sound files, regardless of the source.
I've listen to samples of tunes from the link you've provided, and it all sounds like crap. I can't 'identify' nothing from listening to it.
Sorry I refuse to browse iTunes site . My computer's screen start smell funny, if I do :mad:...just what I "need" :rolleyes: - another stinky 'user agreement' pop-up on my screen. :mad::mad:

/respects

Back