Ideas for selling old rack gear on Ebay

mandocaster

non compos mentis
I have a fair amount of old rack gear getting no use whatsoever.

It will need to be carefully marketed

LOOK! WOW! alesis micro compressor TELETRONIX/LA2A/LA3/UREI WOW! WOW! GEORGE MARTIN!! BEATLES! RARE! LOOK! WOW!

stuff with "vintage" in the title tend to get higher bids.

also saying stuff like "last time I plugged it in was 8 years ago but it worked then. sold as is" usually get lower bids.

I recomend misspelling all the words, and putting the items in womens clothing category...not really.

Actually when I post on ebay, I see what the other items similair are going for, and how much action they are getting. Then I know what sort of "extra's" I want to put on it to set it apart from the other listings. Then I put more pictures (overkill) and info up than any other item. I try and show the details of the item, and include lots of close ups of the controls ect... I even sometimes put a link to the manual. Typically this helps yours sell first and for more than the other similar items.

mandocaster, just make sure to describe it honestly and provide a good picture of it. I'd also recommend testing each unit thoroughly before auctioning it as well.

..........and don't just limit yourself to E-bay only as most Rec'ding BBS's have forums where members can trade/buy/sell used gear. Just use common sense, be fair & honest and trust no-one ;) :p !

I do a lot better by selling stuff here (in the classifieds forum), at my site's Gear Trader's forum (Mojo Pie) and at Gear Slutz. If it doesn't sell after a week or so then I put it on eBay.

Even if something's a complete piece of crap, it has some value for the parts alone, especially the box, pots, knobs, jacks, and transformer.

also, if you don't have a Paypal account, you should get one.

You can set up a free Paypal shopping cart and then people can use Paypal and creditcards to buy it from you.

Whenever I sell anything these days that's what I do.

after 3 months, (I think) I was able to get a debit card from Ebay, what this does is allow me to easily withdraw my money from the E-bay account. (Just made the withdrawing process faster.)

Tim

Lots of positive feedback (as a seller) + high quality pics + accurate detailed description of the gear's condition and use + flexible payment methods + reasonable market price USUALLY = Ebay success for me.

I hate when a seller says 'normal wear and tear' and shit like that.

Good luck.

Back