Ideally position in my non rectangular room

geert9

Hello guys,

I am a little confused. I read everywhere that the best mix position is in the middle of the room which sounds logical to me... Although my room is not rectangular, most of the room is (see picture). Now I asked Auralex for room treatment and how I needed to do it in my studio and they placed me out of the center between the small corner and the long wall. Now I was wondering whether this is correct or not? Why not put me in the center? I am confused... Can somebody explain me why this is the best position?

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 22.58.08.png

If it were me, I'd put the desk against the opposite wall from where it's shown in your picture. It seems that in its current location, the stereo field would be skewed because you're closer to the wall on your left than the wall on your right. Maybe Auralex knows something that I don't...

I think that all of the suggestions for placement of your treatment looks good, assuming you flip it 180 degrees if you move your desk to the opposite wall.

The middle of rooms is usually a tricky place from an acoustics standpoint. I think that having your listening position in the center of the short dimension of the room is fine because it'll provide symmetrical reflections from left to right in the stereo field. But you don't want your listening position to be in the center of the long dimension of the room because that tends to be a trouble spot for standing waves and low-frequency buildup/dropouts. If I remember correctly, the ideal listening spot is about 30% of the distance of the long dimension of the room. Which it looks like you'll have just about right, whichever side of the room you decide to place your desk on.

*edit*: I just noticed the door. It would be problematic, putting a desk in front of it :D Maybe Auralex's suggestion is the best way to go after all?

Hello guys,

I am a little confused. I read everywhere that the best mix position is in the middle of the room which sounds logical to me... Although my room is not rectangular, most of the room is (see picture). Now I asked Auralex for room treatment and how I needed to do it in my studio and they placed me out of the center between the small corner and the long wall. Now I was wondering whether this is correct or not? Why not put me in the center? I am confused... Can somebody explain me why this is the best position?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 95749

Symmetry is very important in a control room for mixing. You want exact distances at each side of your monitors to walls and place treatment at the reflection points.

Where is the entry door? Is that the reason why you can't place your desk at the opposite side? I might guess it may be better to lose that odd space and fill it with pink fluffy stuff. Room dimension ratios are very important and you may be better or worse by calculating them with the change. I would ask a professional studio builder.

Now, I am not going to bash on Auralex but you can do much better forms of treatment in this room at less cost.

Which leads me to have you read THIS sticky on this forum. JH Brandt does not mess around...

As far as the mixing position that Tadpui mentioned, Mr. Brandt explains why the common recommendation to be a bit deep into the room is false in his sticky post I linked. My monitors are less than 2' from the short wall at the end of my 13 X 35' control room. I have best results with two pairs of front fired bass port monitors. The door to my drum room to the right side wall behind my monitors. I use a movable bass trap there so that I can put it in place in that corner half in front of the steel door to the drum room when I am mixing.

Yes I can't sit on the opposite side because of the door, sadly enough otherwise it would have fixed most of my issues... I'm not going for the Auralex acoustic solution because I'll be using the London 10 kit for acoustic treatment I was just showing this image so you guys have a clearer image of my room and because I wanted to figure out why he placed me not really that symmetrically in the room... I wanted to hang my London 10 kit panels on the wall for my first reflection points but of course this depends on the position I'll be sitting...

Back