ideal setup for recording solo guitar

anton

Hello,

I am looking to plan out a setup for recording solo acoustic guitar in stereo. I play fingerstyle arrangements of irish music and starting to think about a professional unit as possible to lay down some of my music. I was thinking about the RME Fireface, it seems to get good reviews, but 90% of the time i would not even be scratching the surface in terms of its capabilities. I thought about putting together a stand along hard disc system, something that is quiet where i could sit in front of the mics, reach over and hit record, then transfer later to the computer via USB for editing. This approach appeals to me for solo guitar, rather than running from the keyboard to the recording area then back to the keyboard to hit stop. Looking around though it seems once i got a decent, perhaps like this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMD660/

plus a good pre and D/A i might as well have gotten a Fireface 800. Plus i still would not have a good compuer card for monitoring during editing.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. I wish they would come out with a high quality two channell firewire/usb interface, but so far the good stuff has alot more channels that i will ever need to use.

anton

I think a descent standalone good quality 4 tracker w/pre's and digital I/O would be good for what your doing along with a modest(medium)recording/editing software app.

Back