Ideal Listening Distance From Near-Field Monitors?

CharlesThomas

I have some Event 20/20 monitors coming for my studio.

Ideally, how far away should they be for proper listening? I have noticed that perception of bass varys greatly depending on ones distance from the speaker.

I'd like to mount them the proper distance from the mixing console to give me the right idea of bass in the mix.

Thanks for any tips!

CT

From Events site:

'As a rule, the two speakers and the listening position should form an equilateral triangle, with the sides of the triangle ranging in length from four to six feet. Notice, too, that the 20/20bas speakers are identical. Either speaker can be used on the left or right side, and the speakers can be used with equal success in the upright (tweeters on top) or side (tweeters pointing outward) positions. Avoid placing the monitors in corners, against walls, or on surfaces that physically couple to resonant objects, as these situations can alter the low frequency response.'

So, where you end up in the equilateral triangle all depends on the distance you have the speakers apart. Mine are about 5' apart. I remember sonusman mentioning he backs up from the monitors occasionally to check bass content - longer wave.

True true....

I have mine about 3' from me, and of course 3' from each other. You can go less, but it not really recommended to go too much farther. When I bought my Events, I seem to recall the manual saying that 3' is about the right distance.

And yes, if I need a little better reference of the low end, just to make sure it is not totally over done, I back up to at least 10-15'. Remember that a 100Hz sound wave has a physical size of about 30'! If you are any closer to it, you are not hearing the fully developed wave, and probably hearing more of the reflection of the wave then the original wave itself. That can be problematic sometimes if you have weird things going on in your room. But that is starting to get into a very complex area. So............

Good luck. Enjoy the Events!!!

Ed

Ed...
What's the ideal surroundings for listening to a mix on monitors?

I have my studio in my basement, which has a carpeted floor and wood paneling. But I also built a 4-foot by 6-foot vocal booth, in which the interior has 1 1/2 inches of styrofoam, covered with 2 inches of Auralex Wedge foam.

I take it that mixing inside the booth would be a bit extreme, right?

How could I optimize my listening environment?
Should I have a wall behind me?

I've seen that Auralex portable thingy, but I ain't got that kind of cash.

I'd appreciate some advice on this. Thanx.

Buck

If you don't like monkey's, don't open the barrel!

Buck, there are many excellent books written on this very complex issue. Reading any of them will gain you a lot of good information.

Ideally, you want to avoid standing waves, and phase cancellation at your mix postiton. Many thing can lead to both.

Keep walls that are behind you as far back as possible. Don't put your speakers in corners. Those are going to be the two biggies.

After that, you start getting into tuning the room. Oh wait, try to break up all 90 degree angles in the room so bass won't build up in them too.

Really, you should read up on the subject. There is a whole lot to know.

Ed

Yeah...
I guess that's a tough one to answer, especially when you can't physically *see* the room I'm talking about.
I'll study up some more on it... Tanx

Ed

When you say three feet, do you mean between the cabinet's or between the center of the cones. Breaking out my imaginary yardstick, My Events are 3 feet apart from the center of the cone. Is this too close? Unfortunatly I can't really get them farther apart. If I did I would probably have to put them closer to the wall in order to keep them symetrical. They are about 2.5' from the wall (wall to the cones)right now. I can't really get them further out than that.

I read somewhere that if you can't get your monitors at least 4 feet from the wall, then you are better off having them right on the wall. I saw some chart about what frequencies get cancelled out at what distances, it made sense to me, but since the 20/20 cabinets are a foot deep, then you can't really put them right at the wall. hmmm... I think I'll try and find that chart again....

-jhe

I was saying edge to edge, I guess center to center would better, mine are exactly 3' 6" from center to center of the speaker.

Back