Idea for diffuser/absorber

NoFO

So i'm sitting here looking at my closet door and a thought crosses my mind. very dangerous thing. It's a wooden accordian style door, you know, it folds up in half when you open it, and this one has downwards facing louvers. What if i placed a set of these doors on each wall to the left and right of the sweet spot, open to about a 135 degree angle, with rock wool or fiberboard lining the inside, and then stuff the rest of the inside between the wall and the doors with more foam. i figure this would break up the soundwaves and be a broad band absorber, as well as look cool.

thoughts? is this feasible? stupid? tell me like it is! :p :p :p :p

I have a similar idea for an adjustable diffusor/absorber using moveable slats so you can tune the response. Just haven't had the time or money to start construction yet.

It will have some degree of absorption, but I doubt it will be "broad band". As far as diffusion, I think it will have very little effect and whatever effect it does have will likely be detrimental. The regular spacing and depth of the louvers may have a tendency to reinforce constructive or destructive interference at some wavelengths. My guess is that this could occur somewhere in the range of 3kHhz to 12kHz since that corresponds to about 1/4 to 1 wavelength for say a 1 inch louver.

You should always avoid periodic reflective surfaces. Though RPG type diffusers work quite well, their regular surface spacing is actually one of their faults. The surface depths are based on symmetric, but not periodic, primitive root or prime number sequences.

barefoot

o kee do kee then.... anyone have any good ideas for what to place to the sides and back of my monitors, something home meade and cheap?

thanks!

I have a design recipe for building RPG type quadratic residue diffusors that I could dig up for you. But, they require a fair amount of material and aren't particularly easy to build.

A excellent and fairly cheap solution is to flush mount your monitors. This has many advantages which have been discussed here in previous threads. You can even do it for nearfields like I've illustrated in the attachment. Thick Plexiglas would be a great material to use to avoid any cramped feeling you might get from the baffles being up in your face, but then that's very expensive.

The major disadvantage would obviously be the space and the limited access behind the partitions.

barefoot

Attachments

• nearflush.gif
    nearflush.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 61
Hey Barefoot, could you post a link to the thread in which you talk about the benefits of flush mounting nearfields. I remeber reading it a while back but I can't seem to find it through the search.

I've been hearing a LOT of conflicting opinions about this and some people I talked to claim that in order to make soffit mounted nearfields work, you really need to design your room around the speakers. Whereas with free-standing speakers as long as you back off from the rear wall, boundary effects will be minimal and you won't have the problems with the whole wall becoming a speaker and mucking up the low end.

Back