Idea... (critics wanted, lol)

SEDstar

This is what i got so far...

(Editors notes: "---" means note held out
"..." means descending, clipped, notes)

"The Rain is Near" (first draft lyrics)
=======================

its a, ooh--- its not the rivers I mean, I know you...
the nerve---- I'll say---, in a snap he will, know I turned the tides for two.... this date I might see it all
I---- need now----, the star...

(start chorus)
i seem---, not now, now its near--- dont show me so I wont know...
now its near---, dont show what I say---
i seem---, not now, now its near----,
it seems--- the rain is near...
(end chorus)

defiled--- ruined in me---
too tired--- to survive---
a pain....ooh! , a shock to them, never I mind---
the night---, did it again-----, cant win...

(repeat chorus)

(bridge)

(chorus)

uh, obviously the bridge isnt done yet, ha ha.

I can "sorta" hear it in my head... I picture it as an oversung bittersweet ballad...

My one buddy is getting divorced, and he took up with a young singer. Her parents were both musical professionals, her father a music professor somewhere, and her mother directs a 200 member choir... so, naturally the poor girl was infused from birth with demanding music parents.

I got to hear "her" in the choir on a recording she has. When I HEARD her singing along to it, I could just TELL that was her on the recording. (she has a thin, high, clear voice... sorta resembles Sarah Brightman a little...)

so naturally she can follow a lead sheet, and can put the lyrics onto NOTES like a freaking instrument... so, I am trying to write some lyrics to attempt to get something off the ground to USE this talent. (she no longer is into music, she said her mom teh choir director kinda "burnt her out" being critical coaching her... she enjoys to sing, just not with her moms choir anymore, LMAO...

This was the first time I ever tried to write lyrics and was somehow able to abandon "regular meter" that always turns anything I try to do lyrics-wise into "bad poetry", ha ha...

she has like 2, 2 1/2 octave range... in the upper registers...

"in my head", this is rather like I hear "laura branigan" singing it in my head, but... I figure it will come out sorta sounding like "sara brightmans young understudy trying to cover Laura Branigan oversung love ballad", if that makes any sense the way I hear it in my head.

and I'm trying to be slightly vague here and there with phrases, but still carry the overall thing clearly...

so... as a "start" does it suck a lot, or just suck a little, hee hee...

if I can get a bridge out, I figure I'll try to horribly "butcher" the song idea for her as a reference, so she can take over... (I cant sing for $h!t, LMAO, bu theres no other way for her to get any idea what I got in my head, sadly...)

hey geck...

I am so unsure about lyrics, you know the history of me and lyrics, lol... *we dont get along*

and without music done first, as here... *shrugs*

I dunno... I try it now and then, sometimes I LIKE it when its being made... then the next day?

*puke*

lmFao...

the singer is singing... the plumber is plumbing... why do I feel like a plumber being prodded at gunpoint to do electrical work? lmFao...

I'm intrigued SEDstar - I like this broken conversational style too, gives it a kind of surreal edge. I hear it in my head as an unusual understated thing rather than some sweeping heartbreak epic (the lyrics made me think of For Emma by Bon Iver). Be very interested to hear it too.

Okay... I'm not "crazy" then, well, MAYbe anyways, hee hee

you said "unusual" and "surreal"... me and her were thinking we wanted "etheral" sounding... eh, similar sounding descriptions, maybe...

when geck?

Well, first off I was figuring I got hear it first, lmFao...

ha ha... well, let see...

1) my buddy and his old lady have to have me over
2) AND it has to be a day/time he doesnt have his kid from his exwife... (kids nosie when awake, our noise when shes asleep, lol)
3) her and me have to sober enough to "play" around with this, let her play around acapella...
4) obviously it has to be a day I'm not working, and, since they are nigt owls, a night I dont have to work the next day either...

eh, as soon as i can manage it, *shrugs* thats assuming shes still in the mood to even try this out...

PS - not to mention, if it rains even a little bit, while I walking 4 miles there (or back) I am out hundreds of US dollars for my laptop that'll be in my backpack...

I guess I'll try to get a "test" recording that will be "mono; cheap condenser" with my laptop... thats assumin I even get the thing lined up and shes interested...

I think the lyrics could do with some more definitive words to really shape and give meaning to the conversational phrases - a couple of strong descriptive words would really highlight the frequently heard phrases like "now its near---, dont show what I say---"

The story of the singer is pretty interesting too, would make a good song!

Back