ibook question

aprilchangedme

basic computer-recording question

Hey everyone. I have been accessing these forums for awhile now, but i have recently been entertaining the idea of switching from my fostex vf80 to a computer based system. I have a g3 ibook (which i am typing this on right now), that i use for college and will eventually use for my career as a graphic designer. My question is whether or not i can use this computer for both recording and my work? in other words...do you need to have one computer STRICTLY for recording? or does it depend on memory, cpu speed, etc. ?

i have 18gb total and 10 free after all of my graphic design programs and other junk. I can always back up files onto cds to free up space, too. I am interested in doing this because i dont have much money and i could probably get alot of the software for free, and then with the money from my fostex, i could get some better equipment and be much better off. Any feedback would be great

Last edited:
ps.

will getting my comp set up for recording (sound card? mixer/mic inputs?) suck up all of the money from my trade in anyway? do i even need a sound card?

Re: basic computer-recording question

Which G3 in your iBook?

I'm running Logic on a iBook 700. I have all sorts of graphics and 3d apps on my system. Doesn't seem to affect DAW performance as far as I can tell. You can always just split up your drive into two partitions with Disk Utility if things get a little finicky.

10 megs left over ain't a whole lot. Take into consideration how many megs the audio software will take up also. And any loops, samples, soundfonts, etc you might be using. If you're just recording 16 bit audio it should be fine. You can always pick up a external firewire drive. I picked up an external 30gb firewire drive at ShreveAudio for $49 last week. I don't use it for an audio disk but as a quick way to back up my hard drive. But it might be a low-cost solution to give you more drive space for cheap. Spinning up, it's a little loud for recording acoustic guitar with a condenser. But you can always stick it in a drawer or something.

The M-Audio MobilePre worked well with Logic on my iBook. They're only $149.

Back