iBook and Powerbook questions

Cliff K

Hi folks,
I've decided to buy an Apple laptop as my new computer. I'll be using it for standard home and business computing, and of course audio. I currently use a combination of analog gear and a Tascam 788, and I'm excited to add a good computer to the setup, but I don't have a lot of experience with computers for recording, so I've got some questions about the features of the iBooks and the Powerbooks, and for configuring the model I end up buying. I know that I will at least buy the 1 GHz 14" iBook, but the Powerbooks look pretty sweet. If I buy a Powerbook it will be one of the 15" models (the 17" model seems too big for carrying around, and if I really need more screen space I think I would just get a secondary monitor for at home). So, from what I've seen about these laptops, here are some things that I'm wondering about:
1) The Powerbook has a 512k cache, the iBook has a 256k cache: how important is that for audio work?
2) The Powerbook has a Firewire 400 and a Firewire 800 port, the iBook has a Firewire 400 port: how important is that?
3) The Powerbook will show two differnt screens with a second monitor, the iBook will only mirror the display on a second mirror: is this really crucial?
4) These laptops come with 256MB of RAM. Is that enough? If not, how much is good?
5) The hard drives run at 4200rpm. Is this good? The Powerbook does have an option to get a 5400rpm drive, but is this necessary? Do you know if I can run an external hard drive off the iBook or Powerbook?
6) The Powerbook has a PC card slot, none on the iBook...is this important?
7) The Powerbook can come with a Superdrive to burn DVDs...I know this not audio, but it sounds intriguing...has anyone used this and the software? How is it?
8) When does Apple introduce the new models? Should I hold off for the next line of laptops?

Have I forgotten anything?

Obviously if money was not an issue I'd go for the Powerbook with all the bells and wistles. The 14" iBook seems like a fair deal at around $1,600, but I can pay more for the Powerbook if it's really worth it. I'm not sure what audio software I'd run. Sorry for all these basic questions, but I'd rather ask you than the computer salesperson. Any opinion and advise will help.

Thanks!
Cliff

Back