Ibanez Artcore series

yag

Still Newbie
do you advise or does anybody have any of them?
and their being made in china is a problem?
and if anybody has the model af 95VLS, i would be grateful if writes rewiew?

thanks

I recently parted ways with an Artcore, made in Korea. All in all it was a very decent guitar, I just prefer solid body to hollow body guitars. It was quite playable, nice tone, good action, stayed in tune well, had decent hardware and parts. I actually liked it, just didn't play it often, so when offered as much as I paid for it I said good bye to it. My main axe is an Ibanez AR 300, like I said I prefer solid bodies, but for a hollow body the Artcore series are very decent for their price range.

I had an Artcore AF95 VLS for about a month, and then returned it. It would not stay in tune, and it had an undeterminable rattle. I've played a few of them, and the lower end models didn't impress me at all. Maybe it was the shop where I bought mine, which seemed to be selling a lot of dodgy guitars of all brands, I don't know. I ended up exchanging the VLS for an AS103 NT. Quite a bit more money, but it is a very good guitar. Bottom line, imo, is that quality control on these guitars seems less than stellar, and so you had better play, and be happy with, whatever you decide to buy.

I've had my Artcore AG75TBS for 4 years, and I've never regretted buying it. On occasion, I'll think about swapping out the humbuckers for single coils, such as Seymour Duncan Phat Cat or Gibson P94, but then I'll start jamming on it, and decide "nah." For me, the AG75TBS was an affordable alternative to lusting for a Gibson ES or L series.

I've also tried several of the Artcore AFS75T models, and although I don't completely dislike them, they weren't really suitable for what I was looking for, being a rockabilly box. I'd considered the possibility of modifying an AFS75T with single coils, but the tone from the ones I'd tried just didn't reach out and grab me...the "sparkle" wasn't there. Had I not already owned the AG75TBS, I could have seen me buying an AFS75T, but I wasn't really looking to duplicate something I already have, except with a vibrato tail piece, such as the AFS75T has. I eventually ended up with a Peavey JF2 EX, after having tried an entry level Gretsch Electromatic G5120 (when I had the money) that lost "the fight" for my bucks to a used Fender Bass VI.

If you have the chance, try as many Artcore models as you can, within your price range, rather than possibly limiting yourself to one or two model choices and ending up disappointed, when you don't find one of those you like.

Matt

My Mom always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all".

I'm not saying anything in hopes you'll get my drift.:)

At one point I was looking at getting a hollow or semi-hollow. I tried out the Epiphone Dot and the Artcore, and to me the Artcore was hands down more playable and "warm" the the Dot.

Now I've heard that the Starcore series guitars which preceded the Artcore were even nicer, but you'd need to look at eBay or other used guitar sellers for that.....

I have a hollow body artcore in the vintage sunburst finish. I used it for a good while as my main guitar before I got a Les Paul. It has a good tone. It passes for rockabilly. The one thing I hated is that after a few months, the high E and B string couldn't stay in tune very well higher up on the fretboard, especially at 12th. It has a bad, dead ping to it.

i had an artcore AG75 for a couple years. it was worth every penny of the $200 i paid for it used.

the neck was straight and the guitar played great. it sounded pretty good acoustically--it was my "late night everyone's asleep and i want to play some guitar" guitar.

it stayed in tune quite well and after i gave it a setup, the intonation and action were perfect. no issues with the tuners or the bridge, although the pickguard screw would come loose and generate a rattle.

there was a small issue with one of the inlays on the fretboard--wood shrinkage/contraction, from the looks of it, which caused the inlay to pop out slightly.

plugged in.......it was a little different story. the pickups were both muddy and harsh. they took pedals pretty well, though--in fact it was my "go to" guitar for distorted sounds as i had nothing else that got in the same ballpark. i always figured that at some point i'd put a Duncan JB/Jazz combo into it, but putting $200+ into a guitar i paid $200 for seemed like it would have a low ROI.

it performed a WHOLE lot better when i started putting flatwounds on it, though.

that said, the Artcore became redundant when i put a JB Jr in the bridge position of my '83 strat. the crunch, dynamics and harmonics from the JB Jr in the strat are leaps and bounds better sounding than the Artcore was.

i sold the Artcore a couple weeks ago for $220. i'm glad i had it, but don't really miss it.

if i end up going the hollowbody route again, it'll be for an ES335 or 355.

cheers,
wade

I have an afs75t that I really love. The only thing I have against it is the pickups are very low output. Great for clean sounds, but I don't dig it with overdrive/distortion. I'm definitely keeping it though and maybe putting in some Hum-sized p90's or something. Plays great.

I've had the AS103NT for about a year and love it. Great tone, stays in tune, and plays beautifully.

I have an AG75 that I bought used ($150) It plays well and holds a tune. It does clean well, but when I try to get a distorted sound it breaks up too fast. It doesn't seem to play well with my effects set-up (Roland ME50).

I had read so many posts on this site about how much people liked Artcore guitars and many preferred them to Epiphone - so I bought one when I saw a good price.

I also own an Epi DOT (335 copy) which I prefer to the Artcore.

I've had the AS103NT for about a year and love it. Great tone, stays in tune, and plays beautifully.

Yep, my experience, too. I actually prefer this to my Strat right now. Of course, this is a custom model, and close to double the price of the lower end Artcores.

Back