Ian McLagan - Dead at 69

The Small Faces "Ogden's nut gone flake" is rightly lauded as one of those classic late 60s concept albums {Well, side 2 is} but while Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane came up with some great songs, it really is McLagan's skills on a variety of pianos and electronic keyboards {organs, mellotrons, electric pianos, and stuff like that} that provide that inventive otherworldliness so characteristic of psychedelia of that time. As well as helping to write 5 of the songs, his is the most telling contribution to the album, sonically. Not to be underestimated.
He was one of the first of that 2nd generation of British rockers to be busted for drug possession ! But for some reason, it didn't really make headline news.
Tremendously skilful player and his autobiography "All the rage" is one of the best I've come across. His book comes across like he always did, down to earth and full of humour and blessed with a fantastic memory.

He was awesome, rip

He was indeed!

Tremendously skilful player and his autobiography "All the rage" is one of the best I've come across. His book comes across like he always did, down to earth and full of humour and blessed with a fantastic memory.

It is a great book. I've read it a couple of times and other than Goodnight Jim Bob, (Carter USM's singer/songwriters blog-ography) it is the only book that has made me physically laugh out loud.

I don't know who that is, but sorry for your loss.

keyboard player with the small faces then the faces...hung with some others too but thats his best work for me

I think I was 14 or 15 when I first heard Grow your Own...great track

It is a great book
Whenever I look at it or think about it, it reminds me of a bath.
Because that's where I read it !
There are certain members of bands that make great 'keepers of the flame' or band historians. Ian McLagan was one of them.
Along with guys like John Paul Jones, Nicky Hopkins, Jon Lord, Rick Wright, Mike Harrison, Gary Wright and Keith Emmerson, McLagan helped British keyboard players become better known and taken a lot more seriously. To a large extent, they were critical factors in shaping the actual sounds of their respective bands. One of my favourite {and era defining} sounds from a keyboard is McLagan's electric piano at the start of and throughout "Lazy Sunday."

Back