i3, i5 or i7 for Logic Pro 9

nigelallistair

Hello,

I am ordering my new unit in the next couple of days and would like to ask some thoughts on the i3 vs. i5 vs. i7 options.

The machine will be used almost exclusively for audio recording in the home studio I'm setting up running Logic Pro 9 (with an Allen & Heath Zedr16 desk).

I also do design work (Illustrator & Photoshop) but I imagine those wouldn't tax the system more than audio recording.

I'm definitely getting going with the 27" as I'd like as much screen real estate as possible but the processor is up for debate and I'm a bit uninformed as to the performance of these options when recording.

Also would like to be a bit future-proofed as well as this will be a pretty long-term investment.

Thanks much for any info and help.

well, I just built a PC and we went i7.
I did a lotta research and an awful lotta people said the i5 is the 'sweet spot' in the line. It's quite a bit less than the i7 and supposedly does about as well unless you're a gamer. But we spent the money and I'm quite happy with the results. It's blazing fast.
But, as I said, the i5 is several hundred dollars less and is supposed to be really good.

In my new pc I chose the I7 the upgrade from i5 was only around £60 so i thourght I might as well splash out and get the biggest I could afford.

I agree I have found it very very fast, and I feel really comfortable with the room I have to play with,

Like many people say here. . . buy for the future, try to think of not what you need/would like now, but what you will need in 2 years?

I have an i5 quad core and have had zero problems using Sonar 8. Hardly gets the cpu metre moving. i5 or i7, both will do the job :)

With computers:

Get the fastest processor you can afford to get, as it will be the slowest within a year.
Get the most memory your system/OS will take.

With hard drives... personally, I prefer to have multiple smallish-medium capacity drives (nowdays that meanst 250-500GB) than one or two large (1TB or more) drives.

Currently in my system I have 4 drives. 2 250GB, one for OS one for My Documents folder and 2 500GB drives, one to hold my projects, the other to hold samples/sample libraries.

I also have a 1.5TB external drive to hold disk images and backups. I use Acronis TrueImage Plus pack that does disk imaging, scheduled backups, and allows for bare-metal restores to dissimilar hardware.

Back