I you don't use a computer ...

NashCat

Last week I asked what kind of gear I might consider if I were going to record via a computer. I received some great comments and I thank you guys for that.

I have really all the gear I need to set up a studio in my home, except a recorder. If I decided to use an external recording device, ie, ADAT format, rather than from a PC, what are some options I might consider? Staying at or below $1500 would be nice and keep in mind this is not for commercial use, primarily demo and my own satisfaction kind of stuff.

The option of recording from a computer seems hard to beat, however, I'd like to know a little bit about my other choices.

Again forgive my ignorance here but I've always been a picker who couldn't be bothered to learn the art of recording. I can see now the errors of my ways and would like to jump into the fray, so to speak.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

GP

ps. the title of this post should be "if you don't use a computer", should have paid more attention in typing class!

[This message has been edited by NashCat (edited 08-10-1999).]

Used ADAT's go for around 7 or 8 hundred dollars now. If you go the used route, make sure that you see how many hours are on the head stacks (the record and playback heads). To do this, turn the machine on, press the "Set Locate" and hold, then press the "Stop" and "Play" buttons while holding the set locate. A number will appear on the readout display that will tell you how many hours are on the headstacks. If it is more than say 1500, you should probably not buy the machine, for it will need sevicing soon. Also, give the transport a really good workout before buying used. Have the seller insert a tape (SVHS) and run through all of the transport functions several times. Try storing locate points and then locating to them. If it all works out, then by all means, buy it! An ADAT will give you 8 tracks of pristine digital audio. And the tape can be taken to professional studios for later recording, or editing, or mixing. Good luck.

The Akai or Emu 8 track hard disk recorders
have the adventage over Adats that you can
edit your sounds.
Maybe not as extensivly as in a computer software envierment,but the sound qualaty
in my opinion is much better
I have used a digital 8 track for 3 years now
and dont have any regrets

Back