I would like to reduce the size of a music file.

I guess you then also register with ASCAP, which is the US version of our PRS I think. In fairness our PRS system is hopelessly out of date and cannot work with streaming services at all it seems. One of the two ABBA fellas gave a scathing review of them last year, accusing them of being dinosaurs. A Reno based friend of mine, who has for years had a steady income from his music has seen it dwindle, but had not even considered the streaming and download system had changed - so he wasn't receiving any of the itunes/Spotify revnue etc - just old fashioned CD sales and radio airplay. It seems broken in the UK and the US?
Do you make much money on streaming?

I guess you then also register with ASCAP, which is the US version of our PRS I think. In fairness our PRS system is hopelessly out of date and cannot work with streaming services at all it seems. One of the two ABBA fellas gave a scathing review of them last year, accusing them of being dinosaurs. A Reno based friend of mine, who has for years had a steady income from his music has seen it dwindle, but had not even considered the streaming and download system had changed - so he wasn't receiving any of the itunes/Spotify revnue etc - just old fashioned CD sales and radio airplay. It seems broken in the UK and the US?
BMI and ASCAP are the two PROs in the US (Performance Rights Organization) - they do not collect or pay for streaming music, only radio/tv and live performances. You use a service such as CDBaby or Disktroid to collect your streaming revenue. I just collected from CDBaby streaming revenue enough from my previous releases to pay for the next 2 releases, adnmittedly no "riches", but something is better than nothing! My BMI PRO money has been pretty slim - payout is always 6 months behind the times, and last year was pretty dismal for live performances of my songs!

What do you mean by "huge file"? Since this is for copyright purposes, rather than for actual creation of media for sale, a basic 128K MP3 file should be more than sufficient. A 6 minute song is about 6MB in size. A CD will hold about 100 songs at 128Kbps MP3. A DVD would hold 750 or so songs, so that's really overkill. How many songs do you have? A 15 song "album" collection would be under 100MB.

I've got a copy of Electric Ladyland (a double album) at 256K mp3 and it's only 138MB for the whole album. If it was 128K, I think I could 12 copies on a single CD.

BMI and ASCAP are the two PROs in the US (Performance Rights Organization) - they do not collect or pay for streaming music, only radio/tv and live performances. You use a service such as CDBaby or Disktroid to collect your streaming revenue. I just collected from CDBaby streaming revenue enough from my previous releases to pay for the next 2 releases, adnmittedly no "riches", but something is better than nothing! My BMI PRO money has been pretty slim - payout is always 6 months behind the times, and last year was pretty dismal for live performances of my songs!
It’s good, but sad, to hear the US system is the same. My last PRS statement came in at zero! The fact that they leave streaming to people like distrokid who seriously rip people off is bad. Distrokid threw me out because they insisted I fixed streams with bots- I’m old and didn’t even know such a thing is possible. They just terminate people’s accounts and remove their entire income stream. Nothing anyone can do about it. At least the PROs behave properly.

Thanks. I remember reading in the past about form pa vs sr. My music seems to fit the copyright description for collection, but it is going to be such a huge file, and I worry it will be rejected as an electronic filing submission. That is why I wan't to submit the music on dvd's if necessary. If a famous band can copyright a boxed set, then why can't I copyright a few dvd's together as a collection?
Well, first, the rules probably have changed since that boxed set was produced, and second, that set probably consists of dozens of copyrights. Most recently the maximum number of pieces that can be contained in a collection has been explicitly defined. And, with a boxed set, like a "best of" or "Decca years" or whatever, almost certainly the individual works had their own copyrights, especially if they were a compilation of previously released/published material. It's even possible the boxed set only was copyrighting the new artwork and the compilation as a work, and not the individual pieces in it, which probably have a stack of copyright registrations associated with each one. Publishers have the lawyers and money to do those sorts of things, and are not trying to save money by batching a bunch of stuff together that their lawyers will tell them needs to be done otherwise.

As of 2019, "Group Registration of Unpublished Works" is the new way to do what it sounds like you want, and it is limited to electronic/digital file submission. I suppose you could knit together groups of small files into a single one and name them Suite A, B, C, etc. to try and save money, but if you need a DVD to submit MP3s, you're almost certainly going to need multiple submissions. It might be worth doing some triage on your recordings.

Or, you could hire a lawyer that makes their living doing this stuff to guide you through this process!

Well, first, the rules probably have changed since that boxed set was produced, and second, that set probably consists of dozens of copyrights. Most recently the maximum number of pieces that can be contained in a collection has been explicitly defined. And, with a boxed set, like a "best of" or "Decca years" or whatever, almost certainly the individual works had their own copyrights, especially if they were a compilation of previously released/published material. It's even possible the boxed set only was copyrighting the new artwork and the compilation as a work, and not the individual pieces in it, which probably have a stack of copyright registrations associated with each one. Publishers have the lawyers and money to do those sorts of things, and are not trying to save money by batching a bunch of stuff together that their lawyers will tell them needs to be done otherwise.

As of 2019, "Group Registration of Unpublished Works" is the new way to do what it sounds like you want, and it is limited to electronic/digital file submission. I suppose you could knit together groups of small files into a single one and name them Suite A, B, C, etc. to try and save money, but if you need a DVD to submit MP3s, you're almost certainly going to need multiple submissions. It might be worth doing some triage on your recordings.

Or, you could hire a lawyer that makes their living doing this stuff to guide you through this process!
I was not aware collection changed to group registration of published works. I would like to know about electronic file submission. copyright.gov says the limit for eco file submission is 500mb. They also say there is a limit of 10 titles for the group registration of published works. Does that mean each title I send for eco has to be below 500mb, or does that mean the combined 10 titles can not be over 500mb? Copyright.gov says to zip your files to reduce size. Do you have an estimate as to what size a 500mb mp3 file would be zipped? I was thinking about contacting one of those sites that offers help for copyright.

What do you mean by "huge file"? Since this is for copyright purposes, rather than for actual creation of media for sale, a basic 128K MP3 file should be more than sufficient. A 6 minute song is about 6MB in size. A CD will hold about 100 songs at 128Kbps MP3. A DVD would hold 750 or so songs, so that's really overkill. How many songs do you have? A 15 song "album" collection would be under 100MB.

I've got a copy of Electric Ladyland (a double album) at 256K mp3 and it's only 138MB for the whole album. If it was 128K, I think I could 12 copies on a single CD.
I am very prolific, and they are not songs. They are instrumentals created in jam sessions. I have 3 and a half years of material.

We’re back to an old topic. All my stuff are songs with no lyric, and the instrumental box ticked. some have melodies some don’t. I consider the ones with tunes as songs, ones without tunes, the more cinematic type support stuff are not songs. This is my own system. They all get registered with PRS here as songs. There are just no lyrics to protect.

if your upload system allows a format as valid, does it matter to them how big the files are? Maybe they have an upload size? So a 30 minute track might need to be mp3, but as this is purely archive, it’s quite possible they archive everything in compressed format anyway? They don’t need quality.

Yesterday there was a programme about restoring an antique caste iron fireplace and they wanted to trace it from the design reg' mark in the casting. The lady expert said " Registering every new design cost the foundries money so often they would put on any old 'reg number' in the hope that a would be ripper-offer would see it and think ***t" better not!"

On 'compression' it is generally held that MP3 at 320k and 'highest quality, slowest encoding' gives a very good product?

Dave.

I am very prolific, and they are not songs. They are instrumentals created in jam sessions. I have 3 and a half years of material.
Why do you think you have to copyright them? A 'song' does not need to have singing/lyrics. Is Santana's "Europa' or 'Samba Pa Ti' a song?

500MB would be over 3 hours of 320K MP3 files.

Why do you think you have to copyright them? A 'song' does not need to have singing/lyrics. Is Santana's "Europa' or 'Samba Pa Ti' a song?

Screw 320K.... for registration purposes 96K would be sufficient. This isn't archival for Library of Congress or creating master discs. Its merely for monetary protection.

I am a musician, and this all my original music. I need to copyright this music as a collection, and worry I will be rejected by the copyright office if the size is to big.
I don't know enough about the copyright process (I actually started it for some songs), but that seems unlikely.

My music falls into the category of something that is eligible for copyright. I hate the idea of anyone ripping off my work.

Screw 320K.... for registration purposes 96K would be sufficient. This isn't archival for Library of Congress or creating master discs. Its merely for monetary protection.
You make a good point. I am trying to learn more about mp3 bit rate. What would the most noticeable difference be in the sound of a mp3 recording of 96k compare to 320k? I know copyright does not accept oog, but I converted over 8 hours of music from wav to oog, and the end result was a 550mb file. I zipped the file, and it was only reduced to 548mb.

Yesterday there was a programme about restoring an antique caste iron fireplace and they wanted to trace it from the design reg' mark in the casting. The lady expert said " Registering every new design cost the foundries money so often they would put on any old 'reg number' in the hope that a would be ripper-offer would see it and think ***t" better not!"

On 'compression' it is generally held that MP3 at 320k and 'highest quality, slowest encoding' gives a very good product?

Dave.
What country were the people on the program from?

In a way, I can see that system even working with a court - it's an identifier, it proves ownership was considered and steps taken. I can see see a judge using this as pretty solid proof of intent.

Back