I wish to digitally record solo guit./vocal and burn to CD (non computer based) Help

Guitar Jim

Hi, I made some inquiries here some months ago about recording on my computer but I've decided not to go with computers .... too big a learning curve, too many choices, too many things can go wrong, plus I'd have to seriously upgrade my lousy computer.
I need to digitally record live vocal/acoustic guitar using 2 microphones, just me singing and playing live... no overdubs, no other voices or instruments. I need to burn the recording to CD and while I don't need the best of the best sound quality I would still like to achieve a good, clear, noiseless recording.
I know there's heaps of complex multitrack digital recorders avaiable.... but this sort of stuff is way overkill for my needs; even just a 4 tracker is much more than I need. It's pointless me buying recording machines that have features I'll never need.
I think maybe I'll need an external mixer for my 2 microphones so I'd probably get the Behringer UB802 mixer.
I'd need a digital recorder of some sort ( preferably with an internal CD burner ) or maybe I'd have to buy an external CD burner.
If I use the Behringer mixer then I guess the digital recorder will need to have just one input for recording.... both multitracking and overdubbing capability would be unnecessary for me.
Does such a small, basic digital recorder exist?
While I'd prefer this sort of simplicity I'd still like the sound quality to be top notch.
Is there a recorder that has an internal CD burner, plus onboard bass/treble/mid controls, onboard reverb and finally 2 inputs with onboard preamps for 2 microphones ( I suspect this would be my ideal, self contained recorder). But I also suspect I'll probably have to compromise and get the external mixer and external CD burner and possibly external reverb ( I can't recall if the Behringer UB802 has onboard reverb).
I'll need to burn CDs that can be played on any normal CD player.
Thanks for any help.

Guitar Jim said:
Hi, I made some inquiries here some months ago about recording on my computer but I've decided not to go with computers .... too big a learning curve, too many choices, too many things can go wrong, plus I'd have to seriously upgrade my lousy computer.
I need to digitally record live vocal/acoustic guitar using 2 microphones, just me singing and playing live... no overdubs, no other voices or instruments. I need to burn the recording to CD and while I don't need the best of the best sound quality I would still like to achieve a good, clear, noiseless recording.
I know there's heaps of complex multitrack digital recorders avaiable.... but this sort of stuff is way overkill for my needs; even just a 4 tracker is much more than I need. It's pointless me buying recording machines that have features I'll never need.
I think maybe I'll need an external mixer for my 2 microphones so I'd probably get the Behringer UB802 mixer.
I'd need a digital recorder of some sort ( preferably with an internal CD burner ) or maybe I'd have to buy an external CD burner.
If I use the Behringer mixer then I guess the digital recorder will need to have just one input for recording.... both multitracking and overdubbing capability would be unnecessary for me.
Does such a small, basic digital recorder exist?
While I'd prefer this sort of simplicity I'd still like the sound quality to be top notch.
Is there a recorder that has an internal CD burner, plus onboard bass/treble/mid controls, onboard reverb and finally 2 inputs with onboard preamps for 2 microphones ( I suspect this would be my ideal, self contained recorder). But I also suspect I'll probably have to compromise and get the external mixer and external CD burner and possibly external reverb ( I can't recall if the Behringer UB802 has onboard reverb).
I'll need to burn CDs that can be played on any normal CD player.
Thanks for any help.

One unit that springs to mind is the Zoom MRS802CD all in one recorder:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ZOO-MRS802BCD--brand-290.html

It has 8 tracks (although you can only record two at a time) built in mic preamps, a massive hard drive for storing your tunes (20GB) and plenty of onboard processing/effects etc.

When I satrted recording a couple of years ago i used it's bigger brother the MRS1266 (more tracks, more inputs etc.).

You can buy one without the CD-R drive and fit one yourself if you want to save a bit of money. That's what I did and it worked fine.

I think you will always end up with capability you don't need (like the extra 6 tracks with the MRS 802) but I think this is about the most basic digital recorder you'll find with CD burning capabilities.

My suggestion is to revisit the computer option. For 2 tracks live and no overdubbing, ANY recording program will work, hell even the stock windows sound recorder will do. All you'll need is an external mixer like one of the yamaha MG series. They even make ones with onboard FX (probably not top quality, but should be usable). Plug your mics into the mixer, mix to taste, send the outs of your mixer through a Y cable into the line in of your computer and record as a single stereo .WAV file, which you can then burn directly to CD using Roxio or any other CD writing program.

The downside is that if you do decide to make any overdubs, edits, etc. you're stuck. There are several very cheap and easy to use multitrack programs out there too, that would increase your capabilities significantly.

the best thing for you by far is the Fostex VF80ex.
it has good preamps and you can record 2 tracks at a time.
eq, effects, phantom power, built in cd burner, faders that work so you can mix on board.
and the good part its onlyl goin for 500 dollars !!! i just got mine like 2 weeks ago with a studio projects b1 mic and i love it

Another alternative, I do this: record the live bit on a simple 4 track then download it to the PC via the line in, then burn it to CD. It's a bit more hassle but it works.

Dani Pace said:
Another alternative, I do this: record the live bit on a simple 4 track then download it to the PC via the line in, then burn it to CD. It's a bit more hassle but it works.

That'll work but 'digital recording' it aint. ;)

I've just bought on Ebay a Fostex VF80 digital recorder/CD burner. It's one year old and is supposed to be in perfect condition. The seller has a very good history, so I'll just have to wait and see if it really is in brand new condition.
To buy a new one here in Australia I'd have to pay almost 4 times as much.
I'll record with 2 Studio Projects B1 condenser mics.
I'll just learn how to operate this thing, then forget about technology and stuff and concentrate on what it's really all about..... the music!

Hey Jim. Wanna do it cheap?

Get yourself a normal old amp...like something you probably already have that you plug your stereo speakers into...y'know, one of those things that has alot of input/output thingies at the back of it (to take your TV/Video/ ect.)

Some of them have more then 1 "line in" point. usually it'll be a "left/Right".

If you go to the right garage sale - some of the older ones will have a mono switch on the front. (like my old Mirantz unit).

With guitar in the ...say left input. and Mic in the right input, turn the mono button on and from the main output - send the whole lot to an external recording device.

There are alot of stand alone "real time" CD recorders still on the market. They have nothing to do with computers. They record as you play (you can record your old records to CD because of this as well).

It may be Mono...but it'll record as myou play and sing....Headphones will assist in you monotering yourself...And with Rewritable CD's you are able to delete the muck-ups and have another go.

The stand alone CD unit is the only real expense. I got mine for $400AU.

Some kind of cheap Radio Shack Input/Output mixer (for about $50) will help with the volume mixing of the guitar and Vocalls.

It's crude....It's alot of pieces...but it works. Cheap and non-computer....And can even sound quite good.

email me if you need more info. Here or at: Memphis_Nights@hotmail.com
if you have any inquieries.

Memphis Nights

Back