i will pay someone for a mixing lesson

LAWL_im_so_EMO

So mi horrible at mixing.
Horrible at using eq filters, compression, dithers, etc.

I will pay someone 20 dollars to do this:
i will send you my pro tools session. all tracks are done, the guitars, bass, vocals, and drums.

There are a total of 4 guitar tracks: two double tracked rhythms, and two leads.

2 bass tracks: two double tracked rhtyhms.
8 drum tracks: crash 1, crash 2, snare, hi hat, bass, tom 1, tom 2, tom 3

and some midi tracks.

I need someone to take it and mix them. ANd along the way, record a video with commentary, or screenshots with commentary.

Ill pay you 10 dollars up front, and 10 dollars for the finished session.

So mi horrible at mixing.
Horrible at using eq filters, compression, dithers, etc.

I will pay someone 20 dollars to do this:
i will send you my pro tools session. all tracks are done, the guitars, bass, vocals, and drums.

There are a total of 4 guitar tracks: two double tracked rhythms, and two leads.

2 bass tracks: two double tracked rhtyhms.
8 drum tracks: crash 1, crash 2, snare, hi hat, bass, tom 1, tom 2, tom 3

and some midi tracks.

I need someone to take it and mix them. ANd along the way, record a video with commentary, or screenshots with commentary.

Ill pay you 10 dollars up front, and 10 dollars for the finished session.

I'd offer to do it for free, but you won't learn much this way. Read, read, read, and be patient. Everybody starts out bad, and you improve as you go. Why don't you post your track in the mp3 mixing clinic and people will give you some tips?

i dont know how to dial in compressors or high/low pass filters.
Ive read so much about them, i know exactly what it does, but when it comes to making an insert i just cant make things fit.

The problem is that you expect mixing to be easy. You're expecting to be good at it right away.

It takes years of practice to become very good at mixing.

The best advice I can give is just record lots and lots of different bands (for free) and just mix mix mix. You will figure out what direction to take.

As for specific plug-in settings, try using the presets as a starting point. You can quite often select "Snare Drum" from a compressor or "Electric Guitar" on an EQ. They won't always work perfectly with your tracks, but they are probably a good starting point. Then just experiment with all of the knobs and controls to figure out how they affect the sound.

You'll learn, but it takes time and practice. Lots of both.

Ive read once that it takes 10,000 hours or 6 years to become really good at something...I kind of agree with that...Ive only been mixing for 3 years and still have a long way to go to actually get half decent at mixing.

Each song is different so even if someone showed you how to mix one song it doesnt mean it would work for every song the same way.

Having said that there are some good sites and info out there that can help...there is some bad info as well however you have to sift through it all and find what works and what doesnt.

I could never find a decent way to mix lead guitar...when eq'ing I was just guessing however I ran across a website and forund some good info that worked for me for eq'ing lead guitar.

When I find info that works I basically copy and paste it and save it to my computer for future reference.

Plugins I use for lead guitar...saturation,Eq,Compressor (sometimes)...then I (send) a split harmonizer,delay and a hall reverb to the track...I also sometimes send a flanger and adjust how much is sent to track...I also adjust how much harmonizer,delay and hall is sent to track.

Mixing this way helps seperate the lead guitar in the mix...the reverb and delay help blend it back in.

-----------------------

Lead Guitar EQ

----------------------

Rock Lead Guitar

Yamaha Name E.G. Distortion 2 New Name: Rock Lead

Stock Parameters:

LF: + 4.0 dB at 315 Hz with Low Shelf Response

LMF: - 8.5 dB at 1.05 kHz with 10.0 Q

HMF: + 4.5 dB at 4.23 kHz with 4.0 Q

HF: +4.0 dB at 12.6 kHz with High Shelf Response

Suggested Parameters:

LF: + 6.0 dB at 265 Hz with 0.7 Q Peak Response

LMF: - 0.0 dB at 1.05 kHz with 2.0 Q

HMF: + 4.5 dB at 4.23 kHz with 2.0 Q

HF: +4.0 dB at 8.0 kHz with 0.7 Q

Why: The LF boost gives body. The peak response reduces interference with the bass line. The HF boost accents the upper harmonics of the guitar that are boosted because of distortion.

Further Changes: With multiple rhythm guitars present, increase HMF boost frequency to 6.35 kHz and possibly increase the Q. Reducing 1.05 kHz can increase the distinction between rhythm and lead guitars; the LMF frequency may need to be changed slightly towards 800 Hz when multiple rhythm guitars are in the production.

Description: Distorted Rock Lead Guitar

well (im actually LAWL_im_so_EMO), here is an analogy for me:

my mix is like an unfinished jigsaw puzzle. all the pieces are there, but i cant get them to fit right to make a cohesive, finished product.

help me put the pieces together plz :)

well (im actually LAWL_im_so_EMO), here is an analogy for me:

my mix is like an unfinished jigsaw puzzle. all the pieces are there, but i cant get them to fit right to make a cohesive, finished product.

help me put the pieces together plz :)
You have to pick sounds that fit together.

One rookie mistake I see a lot: The engineer makes avery instrument sound the same. The guy doesn't like 400hz, so he EQ's it out of all the instruments. He doesn't like 1k, so he takes it out of all the tracks. He likes 80hz and adds that to all the tracks, etc...

So in the end, everything is fighting for the same sonic space.

Here is a starting place, it is just a guess because I haven't heard your tracks.

Drums: I'm assuming they are a drum machine, sequencer, etc... Just leave them alone for now. They are probably fine.

Bass: Add 800hz to give it some definition and 3k for some 'snap' Compressor at 3/1 medium attack and medium fast release. Threshold set so the reduction meter doesn't go much past -5db

guitars: -3db of low shelf at 100hz. +1db at 4k No compression

vocals: +3db at 2k Compressor set a 4/1 with a medium attack and release and the threshold set so that the reduction meter reads no more that -6db

Bring up the drums and get them balanced.
Next bring up the bass with the drums until they rock together
Next bring up the guitar.

At this point, you should be able to hear all the instruments clearly against each other without anything fighting.

Next bring up the vocal and set it into the mix the way you want it.

Now you can start messing with reverb, delay and all that stuff.

what goes into making the mix?
if i sent him a pro tools project with just the audio tracks, what would come in after adding all the eq and dynamic processors?

i guess thats what i cant seem to figure out. WHat do you do after you insert plug ins?

^^^^
thanks for that.
but,

holy shit i just checked out http://www.farviewrecording.com/html/contact.html

"$200 to $500 per song" for the "unattended sessions"

why?!

im not trying to stir up any shit, but i really dont know why.
so why?!
Studio time here is $50/hr. Most songs tend to be somewhere around 20 to 32 tracks. It takes a while to organize them and decide what the project should sound like. Then I have to go about editing, processing, eqing, compressing, setting up effects, etc... Some songs take a couple days to get right.

Some songs come in with 30 or 40 tracks of vocals on top of 8 tracks of guitar, three tracks of bass, leads, keyboards, sound effects, etc... Professional mixes can get very complicated.

I don't use protools, but if you sent me the consolidated tracks, it would take a minimum of 3 hours to get everything going the right direction.

BTW, lots of guys on my level charge $1000/song.

That is my studio. I have no idea what the hell that thing was at the beginning. Here is a video of Dave teaching a free shred lick here.

[video=youtube;<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/KceDSAolwmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/KceDSAolwmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

IMO it's too fast because I can't even hear what he's playing, just ends up sounding like noise.

That may be down to the quality of that particular recording though.

Insane.

Back