I was bored and this is just what I needed !

Mountaineer

I was messing around on Saturday morning with Drag and Drop Drummer. The drum track I created reminded me of a familiar riff and I ended up doing an entire cover song from scratch. It was raining . . . my wife was working . . . and I had four hours to kill.

This song is one of the few that I sang lead on when I was in a band in 1980 and my favorite by the Cars. I'm amazed that I remembered this song so well after 20 years . . . at least how our band played it . . . we changed the chords on the chorus a bit because it sounded better to us. So, with the exception of a live drummer and me doing all the backup vocals, this sounds a lot like our band did two decades ago.

It's at idrive.com . . . The Visitor area is still restricted pending enhancements, so , use my username "PAPicker" and password "lespaul" to get to the files. To make sure you don't get the dreaded "Unkown Error" message do this. 1 ) go to the shared folder 2) place a check mark in the box at the left of the file "JustWhatINeeded.mp3 and 3) Click on download on the tool bar. This will bring a new screen with the file chosen shown at right. Underneath it you can click on play or download. I ran a test and everything worked fine.

The guitars( 3 rhythms & 1 lead ) & bass is all POD, the keyboard is a mix of Yamaha DB50XG and Kurtzweil synths. Vocals were mostly first takes done sitting in a chair and yelling up at the AT4033.

Regards,
PAPicker

very funny...you're hangin' around at home screwing around with drag n drop, sitting in a freakin' chair and making better mixes than I ever do....thanks...thanks a lot...really made my day...butthole....gibs :D

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 07-31-2000).]

What's the file size of this PG? I'll give it a shot tommorow. Modem sucks.. I was getting slow transfer, like 45 minutes to download it. Will post back.

Well you picked on one of my favorite Cars tunes, so I'd say you did an above-average job of covering it. You missed two of my favorite signature thingies that really bring this tune to life. One, the portamento synth lead. Playin' the same line without it it sounds kind of dead. The other one was a little guitar fill. Well- this is a personal favorite tune so sorry about the weird nitpicking. You done it better than I could!

Gibs>LOL . . . ya know, I was thinking as I was recording this tune if I could write shit this good I'd be rich . . . so simple, yet

Emeric> Size is 5.5Mb ( 196K sample rate ) . . . don't blame ya . . . I haven't waited 45mins for anything since I moved from Houston, TX five years ago. What little up/down loading I do must be done at work to avoid my Green Acres connection at home.

drstawl>funny thing is that our band's synth didn't sound this good. It was some cheap ass Yamaha thing amplified and drowned out by the guitars. I always liked the synth in "Night Life". Was that the portamento too ? I think the little fill I missed was between the two repeated choruses at the end . . . I did this all from memory.

PAPicker

I think the snare should mostly fall on 2 and 4, Cept for a few parts where it should be reversed and the snare falls on 1 and 3. (I can see how it reminded you of this song. it has that upbeat thing going on). Regardless, nice job once again.

Back