I want to write songs again

Layla Nahar

not *really* asking for suggestions too much. Just, that it's been a while since the songwriter has spoken up. I was never very prolific, but ... I feel that the songwriting part of me has been somehow been made to sleep, or turned it's back or something like that. maybe its gone ... I can't tell.

so, just putting it out there - "I want to write songs again"

has anyone else ever had a feeling like this? that your songwriter just went away?

Layla Nahar said:
not *really* asking for suggestions too much. Just, that it's been a while since the songwriter has spoken up. I was never very prolific, but ... I feel that the songwriting part of me has been somehow been made to sleep, or turned it's back or something like that. maybe its gone ... I can't tell.

so, just putting it out there - "I want to write songs again"

has anyone else ever had a feeling like this? that your songwriter just went away?
Perhaps you need some inspiration to kick start your songwriting. Try writing about things that inspire you. Write about things you know about - that may make it easier to express your feelings.

Writing can be fun but it also takes some work. Sometimes it comes easy, but sometimes it takes a lot of effort. You should try and keep writing regularly or you may lose interest. There are a lot of other distractions out there.....

:D :) :D :)

I don't know if I can say my songwriter has ever left for an extended time - although there have been times when he's been much too lazy. :D

I have found that when my creative energy is being drained (in particular when my gigging or session work demands a lot of time) I do not have enough creative energy left to commit to songwriting. While I may get frustrated by lack of writing output, at least there is some artistic/creative output taking place.

In addition to those times when the songwriter is too busy doing other things, there are times when he simply does not have a lot to say (lyrically). During those times, I tend to doodle a lot (playing guitar or piano) to hopefully either inspire a song or at least stumble upon melodies, progressions or riffs that I can pull out of a hat at some later date.

I'm one of those people who subscribes to the theory that a writer must write continuously - in hope that for every dozen bad songs written a good one will appear. From all that I've read on the subject of songwriting (and I read really a lot on the subject) many of the most commercially successful writers, force themselves to write often - which in part is a key part of the craft (rather than waiting for the muse to hit).

While I do in large part believe a writer must write often and not wait for the muse, I also beleive that if I write often (or at least have an instrument in my hand often) when the muse does hit - I will be ready.

Just some ideas that have worked for me...

Write in a journal for 10 minutes before going to bed. Maybe a list of 10 opening lines, maybe 15 funny song titles, maybe just steam of conscieness (sp?)

Listen to some NEW music. Maybe not 2007, but new to you. If you write folk, listen to metal, if you write funk, listen to classical. Mix it up. One great way to hear some new music is on www.pandora.com

Good luck!

I haven't written much in the last couple of years. I've had a few ideas for songs, but most haven't amounted to much. I attribute most of this to my life being relatively stagnant during this time. Turmoil/suffering/sadness generally ignite my muse much more than anything else. I don't really worry about it or try to force it. I just try to be open to ideas when they come.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to write more, you need to find stuff to write about that excites/interests you. Maybe take a trip, delve into a new hobby, or just start some fights... ;)

mikeh said:
.. those times when the songwriter is too busy doing other things ..

I have one of those songwriters too. But I let him off, because I like him really :)

mikeh said:
I'm one of those people who subscribes to the theory that a writer must write continuously -

I go along with this too. I really don't believe that it is a matter of waiting for inspiration. I don't think it happens that way very often.

I think when you are working, something happens - and sometimes that feels a bit like inspiration.

So I say - just start. It's that simple. The rest will follow. It's just a habit to get back into.

Humming is fine, then let words come until something hooks you in. It doesn't have to be good, if you start with something you can make it better. Without something, you have nothing.

Good luck!

Here's a question. What happened to make you want to start writing again? What's changed from when your songwriter was "too busy doing other things"?

Don't answer. Maybe it's something to write about - even obliquely?

If that doesn't work, maybe you could write about what made her go quiet?

Back