I want to run my scratching through a compressor with zero latency

geneticfunk

I want to run scratching from my turntable through a compressor with zero latency. Since all of the plugins have noticeable latency, it seems like i need a compressor hardware unit.

I also want to use this compressor for recording vocals into my computer (recording @ 24bit) and live use.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but i'm willing to spend it IF it gets me something that's really better.

Can you guys recommend what model compressor i should get?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated

Most people will recommend the RNC (Really Nice Compressor). I haven't bought one, but its high up on the list of things to buy :)

geneticfunk said:
how about the behringer composer? Any opinions on that?

By all acounts, this is one thing Behringer got right. I have not, but I have read plenty from trustable sources that it is an good unit.

The only comp I have heard/owned under 500$ new that doesn't SUCK is an RNC 1173..I have owned a bunch of low priced gear over the years. Check the used market for an Aphex 651. Those are really good and can be had usually for under 300$...

Ray

geneticfunk said:

My personal opinion is that I would never buy anything from the thieving bastar..... nevermind.

However... I DO own an FMR RNC and FMR RNLA and I think both are killer. (the RNC is model number 1173 which Ray references above) I have done a tiny tiny bit of scratching and I would think that the RNC (used $120 or so) would be a better choice for your tables. It would also do fine for vocals, but I personally prefer the RNLA for vocal when using a dynamic mic.

These FMR products are very available used and hold their value pretty well. I think they are a great bang for the buck!

Not exactly sure why people are suggesting things they have never owned or used.

jdier said:
My personal opinion is that I would never buy anything from the thieving bastar..... nevermind.

However... I DO own an FMR RNC and FMR RNLA and I think both are killer. (the RNC is model number 1173 which Ray references above) I have done a tiny tiny bit of scratching and I would think that the RNC (used $120 or so) would be a better choice for your tables. It would also do fine for vocals, but I personally prefer the RNLA for vocal when using a dynamic mic.

These FMR products are very available used and hold their value pretty well. I think they are a great bang for the buck!

Not exactly sure why people are suggesting things they have never owned or used.

You are probably the one who gave me neg rep for my above post?

I suggest this because I have read, heard examples of, and know of people who have used this unit and it's cost is low. It does'nt matter who makes it, or what you think about philosophy, the guy asked a question and got an answer. I don't have to own something to have personally seen and heard how it works.

BTW: If you think the RNC is "killer" you have never used a decent compressor.

I am sure the Behringer bashing will ensue, but you might want to scoot over and download some of Ford Van's mixes. He uses this unit and his mixes are very good.

I think the RNC IS "killer" ...for it's price point..I own one.
I have owned: a 3630, A few low end ART comps, a DBX 266 (?) ..a Berry..all long since retired...
My comp/limiters of choice?
2 1176's
1 LA2a
1 DBX 165
1 DBX 160
1 Neve 2254

So..I actually do know what a good comp sounds like after all!
I think Berry's do have a place in this world..
That junk can be had so cheaply on the used market that the chassis's are perfect for racking vintage mic pre's :)

Cheers,
Ray

Get an RNC. No need to overanalyze this. Its the one unit most everyone seems to agree is very good and very inexpensive.

Aww I got negative rep for suggesting the same thing he suggested too!

I realise that it sounds odd to recommend something I haven't used, but if you search the forum for any info on compessors, the RNC comes up all the damn time... figured I'd save the OP the time, and as I stated - I don't have it, and I said so - not like I'm lyin over here!

Oh well - just tryin to help :)

MCI2424 said:
BTW: If you think the RNC is "killer" you have never used a decent compressor.

Speak for yourself. Besides the RNC I use 2 Purple MC77s, 2 Crane Song Trakkers, Peavey/AMR VCL2, Atomic Squeezebox, 2 Buzz Audio ARCs and several others. The RNC is STILL a killer unit, no matter what the price. It may not be the best compresssor for each and every instrument/vocal/bus - but neither are the multi-kilobucks units.

im really not understandin this, 'latency bit'.

if you are getting noticable latency, you are doing something wrong my friend.

it doesnt sound like he is looking for a colored high end compressor, or even the moderate price RNC.

that being said, your mind is set on buying a behringer autocom isnt it ? its a piece of shit, but it will work. it compresses and thats all it looks like you are asking for.

do you know how to use a compressor? see South Side Glens tutorial for that, dont ask here :)

DigitMus said:
Speak for yourself. Besides the RNC I use 2 Purple MC77s, 2 Crane Song Trakkers, Peavey/AMR VCL2, Atomic Squeezebox, 2 Buzz Audio ARCs and several others. The RNC is STILL a killer unit, no matter what the price. It may not be the best compresssor for each and every instrument/vocal/bus - but neither are the multi-kilobucks units.

I have spoken for myself, I own an RNC and I have many high end compressors. The RNC is the best unit in it's pricerange, no doubt, but I would not call it "killer".

and if you totally have no money, get yourself two DBX163x compressors,
i always loved them, dirt cheap, extremely easy to use and hell i even like the sound! I did record scratches and beats trough it, does color the sound, definately, maybe its the way to go if you also want to use it for live,
build as a tank and well...give them a test ;)

Who gives a crap about negative rep anyway? Sometimes the truth hurts...

"Honey, I can't sleep"
"Why? Are you feeling okay?"
"Someone gave me negative rep points over at the HomeRec forum....Who are you calling? it's 3 AM!"
"911..you obviosly need an ambulance ride for some professional help..."

;)

Ray

geneticfunk said:
I have a behringer compressor. I've owned some beheringer peices over the years, and i always say that it's not even the sound that bugs me, it's the quality of the products. You can work with sub par equipment, you can't with something that doesn't work.

THat said, my behringer compressor is about 10 years old i think, i'd have to pull it out to check, (i got it for free, i don't know it's orgins) and it is still going strong. For scratching, i don't think you need anything fancy, i don't really know personally, i suck at scratching :D . But my behringher compressor defineatly exceeded my expectations (the most basic, it still works). I find it to be quite, which was shocking as well. And it's pretty transparent, does color the sound. I use it time to time on vocals and can't complain for free, i'd say it's worth the money. Hoewever, i have been told the older beheringer stuff is higher quality, don't know if it's true, speculation, excusses, but this is the only behrenger piece i like outside my headphone amp, and who can really mess up a headphone amp (it is pretty noisy though).

Keep in mind, you will need a stereo compressor unless you want to change your signal to mono. A turntable is stereo obviously, i can't image you are scratching old mono records. So keep that in mind. For scratching, you don't need stereo but it will be easier to deal with, imo, etc.

Because its appropriate for this thread...

I don't care about rep points... I just think its entertaining what some people get pissy over :)

...like making suggestions on a forum :p

Back