I Want to Move my Desk!

Farno

EDIT: I'm no longer moving my desk! I'm not focused on acoustic treatment!

It's time to properly treat my room!

So here is the current layout (a quick google sketchup - not precise scale):

CurrentView3.png

CurrentView1.png

Now you can see that the ceiling is a 45 degree on the sides, this makes building corner traps a little more of a challenge.

The desk is actually much longer (like 10 feet wide, the room is 12). My monitors are on stands so the desk actually sits a foot or 2 back from the wall.

Note that there is actually much more stuff in the room like drawers/cabinents/tables/instruments...

Now room acoustics, I have no treatment! It's pretty bad so I need to figure out how I want to do this.

See post #4 for my latest question.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you will introduce a whole new set of untreatable problems by moving your desk. The placement you propose is probably the worst placement you have available. What makes you wish to isolate the gear? Computer noise? The benefits of of a good listening position will far outweigh having a quiet PC. Get quiet fans or use a KVM switch to extend your distance from monitors/keyboard to Comp. You should be able to get a 12' run of USB or firewire with no problem, from your PC to interface as far as I am aware.

I think you will introduce a whole new set of untreatable problems by moving your desk. The placement you propose is probably the worst placement you have available. What makes you wish to isolate the gear? Computer noise? The benefits of of a good listening position will far outweigh having a quiet PC. Get quiet fans or use a KVM switch to extend your distance from monitors/keyboard to Comp. You should be able to get a 12' run of USB or firewire with no problem, from your PC to interface as far as I am aware.
Exactly this^^^^^

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but your desk is in the right place right now. Even the fact that it's a few feet from the wall is a good thing, compared to having the speakers close to the wall.

Alright then that's all I needed to hear!

So I've read a lot about acoustic treatment, but what would be the first thing to do that will make the biggest difference? Front bass traps or rear absorption panels? Side panels or a panel above me? Obviously all of them are important but what should be the first priority to get working on?

All of them actually. Order if you must start with only partly treating: Front traps to the left and right behind your monitors will be the most important. You have a unique room that will require you to use a mirror to find your first reflection points between your listening position and your monitors. That would be the second most important. Then the remaining corners. All the way, I suggest you test the room to find out what and where you need additional treatment. I will guess you are going to have more treated wall, than exposed wall in that room to get an ideal listening environment. REW

I do hope you plan on using rock wool or anything other than foam products for your initial treatment. :D

Back