I want more channels, I have a Delta 1010

undrgrnd studio

I have a Delta 1010 with a whole bunch of individual Preamps. I want to expand with an M-Audio Octane, but I would need another Delta 1010 because I wouldn't be able to use Lightpipe from the Octane. That got me to thinking, should I just ditch the 1010's and go with something else? Perhaps I should just get something that would allow me to use lightpipe; which would allow me to expand easier. The reason I went with the 1010's to begin with was because of cost. They seem to be the best bang for the buck for me. Good converters, solid drivers, and low cost used. But now that I want to add additional 8 channels I'm stuck with either ditching the 1010 and getting another interface, or getting another 1010. But the 1010 is old tech, and I'll be stuck with PCI which might cause a problem when I upgrade the PC. Ahhhhh!!!!

I have a Delta 1010 with a whole bunch of individual Preamps. I want to expand with an M-Audio Octane, but I would need another Delta 1010 because I wouldn't be able to use Lightpipe from the Octane. That got me to thinking, should I just ditch the 1010's and go with something else? Perhaps I should just get something that would allow me to use lightpipe; which would allow me to expand easier. The reason I went with the 1010's to begin with was because of cost. They seem to be the best bang for the buck for me. Good converters, solid drivers, and low cost used. But now that I want to add additional 8 channels I'm stuck with either ditching the 1010 and getting another interface, or getting another 1010. But the 1010 is old tech, and I'll be stuck with PCI which might cause a problem when I upgrade the PC. Ahhhhh!!!!
M-audio makes a ADAT I/O breakout box that works in tandem with the 1010. It's called the 1010-ai. You plug the cord from the 1010's pci card into it then run a cable from the 1010-ai to the 1010 analog breakout box.

They had a whole slew of them on ebay when I was shopping for my 1010 but I can't seem to find any now.

EDIT: Here's a link to the manual on the Delta 1010-ai card if you want to read up on it. It's in pdf format.
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/Delta1010AI_Manual.pdf

Bad news. The AI simply steals inputs from the existing amount. It doesn't actually expand the number of inputs. It does allow you to use ADAT Lightpipe instead of the analog inputs on the 1010 though.

I wouldn't buy a second 1010. Sure you could spend $500-600 for eight more inputs, but you could also sell the 1010 on eBay for probably $300-400 and spend that same $500-600 on top of that to get a MOTU 2408 and you'll have triple the capacity instead of double. And since they make both PCI and PCIe cards, you have some options in terms of long-term compatibility, too.

The 1010 offered good bang for the buck when it was designed in the late 90s. It really hasn't aged that well, though. :)

I'm glad that someone else is in the same boat as me.

I've got a 1010lt, and I'm looking at upgrading.

The two options that I was thinking of was the MOTU 2408mk3 or the RME RAYdat - I'm in New Zealand, so some times the prices are a bit different here to Europe or America, but they are a similar price for me, and I'm not sure which is the best option.

Then someone suggested the Digi 003

Any thoughts?

(I am wanting to expand to 32 tracks, and run a full live mix/recording set up all off my computer)

I'm glad that someone else is in the same boat as me.

I've got a 1010lt, and I'm looking at upgrading.

The two options that I was thinking of was the MOTU 2408mk3 or the RME RAYdat - I'm in New Zealand, so some times the prices are a bit different here to Europe or America, but they are a similar price for me, and I'm not sure which is the best option.

Then someone suggested the Digi 003

Any thoughts?

(I am wanting to expand to 32 tracks, and run a full live mix/recording set up all off my computer)

Dude I wish I had some answers for you. I'm at a loss myself. I'm thinking for now I'll just buy a 2 channel pre with spdif out. That will add two channels to buy me some time. Between the 8 analog, one midi, and 2 spdif I'll have 11 to work with for now. I can research other paths to take with the time I've bought myself.

short term fix

could be for you to just buy a delta 1010lt. They are getting quite cheap, and it will add another 8 analogue ins and outs. They will happily work with the delta 1010's. If you have enough pre-amps this could be a good option.

could be for you to just buy a delta 1010lt. They are getting quite cheap, and it will add another 8 analogue ins and outs. They will happily work with the delta 1010's. If you have enough pre-amps this could be a good option.

Don't the LT's have cheaper AD/DA converters than the 1010?

...get a MOTU 2408 and you'll have triple the capacity instead of double.

What type of "triple capacity" I/O are you refering to?

If you need lots of mic/insturment inputs...then make sure your card has those, because 24 channels of digital I/O, or ADAT, or SPIDF isn't going to help you much if you need it for mics/instruments.
The MOTU 2408 has only (8) A/D/A channels...which is the same number as the Delta 1010.
Maybe you mean the MOTU 24I/O Core...but that's like $1400.

Most cards that offer 16 or more analog I/Os are not cheap....

I ended up using (3) 8-channel boxes to give me 24 total A/D/A channels.

What type of "triple capacity" I/O are you refering to?

If you need lots of mic/insturment inputs...then make sure your card has those, because 24 channels of digital I/O, or ADAT, or SPIDF isn't going to help you much if you need it for mics/instruments.
The MOTU 2408 has only (8) A/D/A channels...which is the same number as the Delta 1010.
Maybe you mean the MOTU 24I/O Core...but that's like $1400.

Most cards that offer 16 or more analog I/Os are not cheap....

I ended up using (3) 8-channel boxes to give me 24 total A/D/A channels.

The problem I have with getting more 1010's is that I don't even know if another PCI card will fit, because I have a pretty big Graphic card right next to the PCI slot. And in addition to that, I'm not so sure my next PC will even have PCI slots. What interfaces are you using that allows you to expand?

Mine are PCI-based cards, but with the A/D/A converters rack-mounted (similar to your 1010 I guess).
Anyway...I made sure the towers I bought had enough PIC slots (way back) when I new I wanted 24 channels of A/D/A.
I have another older (but newer) PC that I picked up two years ago which still has PCI slots...and I will use it as my "upgrade" computer, soon. I bought when I saw that they were doing away with PCI slots.

See...I just didn't want to have to buy all new A/D/A hardware (all 24 channels worth) if I got a newer PC that no longer used the older PCI slots.
Also...I have a stack of SCSI drives...and all the new stuff is SATA.
I'm not looking to debate the " performance improvements" of a brand new/current PC...but I just don't see the need to keep upgrading ($$$$) if my hardware/software is serving my purpose.

Seems some guys upgrade the software OS every time a new one comes out, then the upgrade chase begins for everything else they own....not to mention all the reconfiguration headaches that come with that.

If it works and ain't broke...I'm not going to try and fix/improve it. ;)

My bad. I misread its feature set (and yes, I was remembering the 24I/O). With only 8 channels of A/D, at that price, it's way overpriced compared with, e.g. the 8Pre. I'd probably go the FireWire direction instead.

Mine are PCI-based cards, but with the A/D/A converters rack-mounted (similar to your 1010 I guess).
Anyway...I made sure the towers I bought had enough PIC slots (way back) when I new I wanted 24 channels of A/D/A.
I have another older (but newer) PC that I picked up two years ago which still has PCI slots...and I will use it as my "upgrade" computer, soon. I bought when I saw that they were doing away with PCI slots.

See...I just didn't want to have to buy all new A/D/A hardware (all 24 channels worth) if I got a newer PC that no longer used the older PCI slots.
Also...I have a stack of SCSI drives...and all the new stuff is SATA.
I'm not looking to debate the " performance improvements" of a brand new/current PC...but I just don't see the need to keep upgrading ($$$$) if my hardware/software is serving my purpose.

Seems some guys upgrade the software OS every time a new one comes out, then the upgrade chase begins for everything else they own....not to mention all the reconfiguration headaches that come with that.

If it works and ain't broke...I'm not going to try and fix/improve it. ;)

Oh OK. I hear you with the upgrade game. I just know it'll be a problem when I do eventually get a new PC. Right now I'm running a core 2 duo with maxed memory anyway, so I'm good for a little while.

I feel your pain.
But having said that I am still running an Audio Dedicated computer that is an old Pentium 3 Win 98se unit and it works fine streaming 24-30 tracks of 24 bit 44.1

With newer operating systems I have heard (and not confirmed) that if it is using ASIO drivers that your audio program will only access one audio driver at a time.
SO that means if you are going to use the M-Audio stuff...you will need more of it, if you are looking to switch formats I would look into a Adat lightpipe card that allows 24 channels I/O and then pick your poison as to the external units.
You can obviously go firewire as well.

If you want something fairly cheap to get you by I'd sell you one of my Delta 1010's for cheap.
Make me an offer or offer a trade of anything musical oriented.

Don't the LT's have cheaper AD/DA converters than the 1010?
The lt also only has 2 balanced ins. The rest are unbalanced RCA.

I've owned both, and the 1010 sounds better than the lt.

It seems silly that M-audio hasn't come out with a PCI-E host card for the Delta 1010. It would be one thing if they were developing a whole new top of the line interface, but they're not. Why don't they update the 1010 for the 21st century? They must be making too much money selling cheap monitors and 2 channel usb interfaces.

The lt also only has 2 balanced ins. The rest are unbalanced RCA.

I've owned both, and the 1010 sounds better than the lt.

It seems silly that M-audio hasn't come out with a PCI-E host card for the Delta 1010. It would be one thing if they were developing a whole new top of the line interface, but they're not. Why don't they update the 1010 for the 21st century? They must be making too much money selling cheap monitors and 2 channel usb interfaces.

I agree. I can't believe they are still selling it the way it is. And for $600. It could really kick ass with some relatively minor improvements. How about a software or a better monitoring solution? Maybe just a freakin volume control for the monitor outputs so you could control volume in one place when listening back. How about those two additions, AND they pair the whole unit to an M-Audio Octane and port it through PCI Express 2.0 instead of standard PCI. Heck maybe add a lightpipe input on it too? That would be a great interface.

Back