I Want A Taylor

panoramical

If anyone has a spare Taylor Acoustic Hanging around and wants to sell...
If it is one of these models: 214, 310, 314, 410, 414, 510 then I am very interested, but I'd need a really good price on it. But whatever, give me your best.

Here's a weird one for you. If you need a website I will make a website for you in return for the Taylor? Or any agreement concerning a website! Just get back to me: enquires@panoramical.co.uk or panoramical@gmail.com

If you want a portfolio of any sites I have made, contact me. I am prepared to do a design for you for free, and if you don't like it, you don't have to buy a site...

Since I'm in the UK, I'm reluctant to buy from a US Seller due to Shipping and Customs, but please contact me anyway. You might be able to tempt me!
Cheers

Interesting. How much do you charge for web design? I might be interested, although I'd be reluctant to sell a Taylor for it :P

Taylor Guitars are VERY Sensitive to humidity.

panoramical said:

Choctaw Writes:
Just a quick note from an X Taylor owner. I have enjoyed playing Acoustic for years.........thought I wanted a Taylor because of great sound, playing etc. Got a new 514- CE and loved it.

Then I started reading all the bad things that can happen to them if they are not kept in the right humidity surrounding. They can come apart, warp, and become worthless, losing their shape and developing cracks on both the top and the back, Read on the web about owners opening up a case only to find their Taylor breaking apart, necks warping, frets beginning to lift up from the finger board etc. The company puts all WARNINGS in the written info that comes with the guitar and on their web site about exposing a Taylor to too much moisture or too much dryness. Check it out before owing one.

Here is the Taylor web site and there info on Humidity….symptoms, solutions, etc.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/humidity.aspx

Choctaw

choctaw said:
panoramical said:

Choctaw Writes:
Just a quick note from an X Taylor owner. I have enjoyed playing Acoustic for years.........thought I wanted a Taylor because of great sound, playing etc. Got a new 514- CE and loved it.

Then I started reading all the bad things that can happen to them if they are not kept in the right humidity surrounding. They can come apart, warp, and become worthless, losing their shape and developing cracks on both the top and the back, Read on the web about owners opening up a case only to find their Taylor breaking apart, necks warping, frets beginning to lift up from the finger board etc. The company puts all WARNINGS in the written info that comes with the guitar and on their web site about exposing a Taylor to too much moisture or too much dryness. Check it out before owing one.

Here is the Taylor web site and there info on Humidity….symptoms, solutions, etc.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/humidity.aspx

Choctaw

You're kidding me right?

Humidity affects EVERY acoustic guitar...not just Taylors.

Taylors seem to have more trouble than some.

Nutdotnet said:
You're kidding me right?

Humidity affects EVERY acoustic guitar...not just Taylors.

I had an old Martin for 35 years that just sat in the corner without a case. It held up without any damage. An old Gibson did the same thing. But these new babies with all the fancy thin wood seem to get hurt the most. And Taylor has a big list of damage post on the web. NO I am not kidding, just warning. They sound and play great, but when you have a big crack down the front or back it is something that makes you sick, and it looks like crap too. Big money to risk the elements with in my view......and its just my opinion from what I have read. Anyone has their freedom to go for it. I would have you go to the Taylor site and see the video showing some Taylor’s and how humidity affect them.

Choctaw

Quote from Taylor site...

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html#faq24

"Is it true that Taylor guitars are more delicately constructed than other makes, and therefore more vulnerable to humidity variances, and generally more fragile?"

"Taylor guitars are every bit as stable as any solid-wood guitar made today (plywood, or laminated-wood guitars obviously are more stable, as are very heavily built guitars, but these come with their own inherent disadvantages). In fact, we have taken numerous, frequently expensive steps to provide our customers with a far superior product in terms of stability. Over the years, our persistent emphasis on humidification, and our ongoing efforts to educate guitarists about it, have led some to conclude that Taylors are structurally less sound than other guitars.

This is partly the result of our conscious decision, several years ago, to be the ambassadors of humidification for the sake of all acoustic guitars (indeed, we get letters from non-Taylor-owners thanking us for "saving" their guitars). We've taken the position that the best long-term solution to the problems associated with humidity is education - simply raising people's awareness of the subject, at least as it concerns solid-wood guitars. So, we write articles about humidity in Wood&Steel and contribute them to other national publications; we offer "Tech-Sheets" to those interested in learning about humidity; and we keep raising the issue in other forums because, until recently, it has been grossly neglected. By being vocal about this, we've attracted a lot of attention, which has led some to believe that Taylor Guitars has a problem with humidity that other manufacturers do not.

The fact is, Taylor guitars are built to be just as tough as most other high-end brands, and are more heavy-duty than others. Generally, we use the same woods (frequently purchased from the same suppliers); kiln-dry it; and build guitars at the same temperature/humidity ratings as other fine guitar makers who have humidity control. Here is the key to understanding why your Taylor will exhibit the adverse effects of drying earlier than other high-end acoustics: It is precisely constructed with a neck angle that ensures optimal performance, and as soon as that angle is compromised by dryness, it will let you know, usually before any serious damage can occur. Ironically, the same qualities that attract players to Taylor guitars in the first place are directly related to their apparent "sensitivity" to dryness - namely, sleek necks, low action, excellent tone, and so on.

But all solid wood guitars face problems caused by humidity swings. We just decided to be the first to bring the issue to light. And, apparently, people are listening."

Ive owned a few Taylors, still own a 615-ce. And yes, they are more prone to humitidy damage than Martins or Gibsons. My grandpa has had the same D28 for 50 or more years and laughed when I talked about havign to use a dampit in my Taylors. My best friend now plays his grandpas J200 boutht new in 1965 and it has never seen a humidifier either. Bot of these guitars are in great shape with zero damage from lack of humidity.

Lots of the old school guys don't like Taylor because they don't dry their wood like Martin and Gibson always has, and are therefore more prone to cracking and problems after being built.

I like Taylors alot, but you do have to baby them for sure.

H2H

I have owned Taylors for 25 years, and the only reason I babied them is because they are nice guitars that deserve to be babied, and never had any problems. The fact is, all guitars are prone to similar damage resulting from poor care and treatment. I keep my guitars in their cases, which is where any nice guitar should be kept to avoid mishaps.

I can't afford a taylor (not even close) but this thread opened up lots of reading for me... I just brought my two humidifiers out from the basement after reading all this!!

I think I'm going to get a few more dampits too... I have 5 acoustics sitting around here!! (None are that high end though)

All I can say is that if you're looking to buy a Taylor shouldn't you be prepared to take care of it?? If you're gonna trash your acoustic buy something that's cheap and sounds like crap. I really like the sound of my Taylor 414ce better than the nicer martin's I've played, so it's worth it for me.

Rick Shepherd said:
I have owned Taylors for 25 years, and the only reason I babied them is because they are nice guitars that deserve to be babied, and never had any problems. The fact is, all guitars are prone to similar damage resulting from poor care and treatment. I keep my guitars in their cases, which is where any nice guitar should be kept to avoid mishaps.

Im not saying vintage Martins and Gibsons don't deserve to be "babied". I'm saying they don't NEED to be. Theyre tough axes ready to be used in any condition. I'm not a Taylor hater, as is theyve been my main acoustics for several years. Thats just how it is.

Theres a big difference in people who buy and/or collect guitars or play them in the controlled comfort of their home and people who are on the road all the time and playing in any condition you can imagine. You can't control the temperature of gear storage on a bus. And you can't keep all your guitars where people are, cause room is at a premium anyways. If its too hot and humid, or too cold and dry somewhere I can't say, "oop, can't play here cause I can't get this guitar out of its case. I baby it." I may as well quit. THAT is why I say what I say. I always worry about my Taylors and never once have worried about my Martin.

H2H

You definitely have a point there. I definitely wouldn't want to take my Taylor on the road by any means. I use it at home and in church a lot. If I wanted one to tour with it would more than likely be something a little tougher. :)

I own a larrivee acoustic, and it is quite sensitive to humidity changes. I know people who have had their guitars suffer fretboard cracks over the course of just a few weeks of improper care. Just remember to keep a very good in-guitar humidifer with it at all times, or keep your house/storage location at a good humiditiy (around 40%).

I'm gonna tag on the end here my own experience. I had (until just recently) a 410RCE that went through darn near every possible humidity environment there is. Extended heat in both dry and humid weather, extended cold, jungle-like humidity, you name it. I never even used a dampit or anything like that, and it never showed a hint of problems. Its sound was ever-so-slightly different in the different environments, but then I can also say that about every single other guitar I've ever played.

Taylor guitars are not really as delicate as some may think. I have a 1979 855 Taylor twelve string that I took with me to college in northern California at Homboldt State. I used to play that thing daily outside in different weather conditions, along with a Guild F50 blonde. The guitar is still in exelllent shape, no problems. I have a 414 Taylor that I am comfortable taking damn near anywhere. I take reasonable measures to avoid damage, but no different than any other guitar. I think the build and quality of Taylor guitars is among the best, as well as the durablility. If you want a Taylor, go for it! No worries.

Back