I want a new bass

Nilbog

hello
Hey I'm looking to get a new bass. Right now I have a Alvarez AEB4. It's okay but I've decided I don't like it. Plus, the guys in my band say that Alvarez sucks (it's like the behringer of guitars or something). So whatever I get it has to be a respected brand. I'm looking at schecters right now - the scorpion sounds totally sweet but I don't like the tuning (BEAD instead of EADG), and the other schecter I looked at (the CV4) was cool but not AS cool as the scorpion.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I'm looking for a good respectable bass for around or under $800 that will impress my friends and sound good for all types of music (I play mostly radiohead/tool type stuff).

Rickenbacker? I found a gibson les paul bass are those any good?

What do you guys like and play on?

Hmmm....
G&L Tribute L-2500
Fender Jazz Bass
used Lakland
Fender Precision
Conklin GT-5
Spector
Conklin GT-7
Reverend Rumblefish
Valenti
.... that's just the beginning. I'd advise hitting the music stores and pawn shop. Play everything they'll let you play, even horrible cheap ones. That'll give a chance to see how a bad bass feel, how a good bass feel, how a bad bass with a good setup feel, how a good bass with a bad setup feels.

neck thru vs. bolt on

I know neck thru are nicer but should I really care? Does it effect the sound at all?

Nilbog said:
neck thru vs. bolt on

I know neck thru are nicer but should I really care? Does it effect the sound at all?
Conventional wisdom:
Neck thru=sustain
bolt=punch
Set=sustained punch
All but 4 of mine are bolt on.(Which are generally cheaper)
2 set(Orion & Ripper)
2 neck thru

Carvin. You can get an LB20 for under $700 w case. Very versatile, well made. I've had one for 4 years now, and a friend has one he got in 1987 and it's still his main bass.

I will second the Conklin groove tools basses. If you can find a Spector that would be great too.
You will notice that all the hot bass players play basses with bolt on necks. Stay away from Rickenbackers, that design worked in the 60s and 70s when bass amps were really muddy sounding. The thinness of the sound helped then, but we don't have that problem any more. Gibson was never known for their basses.

A friend has a Les Paul Standard bass and it weighs a ton MORE than my LP DeLuxe! But it has a very low-frequency sound which can be a problem with the wrong bass amp, because you'll lose note definition. For what it's worth, when he comes over to record he uses my Carvin.

I did the unthinkable.

I headed up to Guitar Center with the intent to buy that limited addition Schecter bass with the bond girl inlays. I played the schecter and it was awesome, or so I thought. I picked up a Spector Euro series bass (list$2300 or so) and started playing it. I thought to myself; "Now I can never go back". I had purposely stayed away form playing nice basses so that I would not realize how good they were and be tempted to buy one. Well, I bought the Euro. It was on sale for $960 and even though I can't afford it, I could with 12 month 0% financing! WOot!

check it our here: http://www.basscentral.com/spector/euro_th.shtml

It's the seventh one down.

-nil

i with you on that...i always think its worth going the extra to get what you really want if you are going to keep it a long time........ i was personally going to suggest a stingray....have fun dude.

I was looking at bass guitars and found a used Spector for around $400.00. I was looking for a good low end bass guitar for recording but the Spector was intregiting.

Should I go for it?

Gibson had some excellent basses. My pop's got an EBO that he bought new in '65. Probably the freshest easiest bass i've ever touched.

As for Heavy Basses: One of my junkers (which is also my favorite hands down) is an old 60's Hagstrom Swede. It's a BRICK! Damned thing sounds beautiful, but i've seen it bring grown men to tears after strapping it on for more than a set.

Back