I want 4 track digital recording and 5.1 DD playback

PFDarkside

How would I go about doing this? I like the M Audio Delta 44 for recording. Seems to get good reviews and it's within my price range. I also like watch DVDs on my computer and would like a 5.1 Dolby Digital equipped card.
Can I easily install 2 PCI soundcards on a Windows XP machine? How difficult is it to set the 5.1 card as my "main" card so all computer sounds/mp3 playback/DVDs go to it and be able to select the Delta 44 when I use cakewalk (going to my mixer)?

using 2 cards is doable but if not setup right can cause conflicts. Im not sure about 2k, but if you are using XP you can make your delta the primary card for all applications. In the windows audio device manager check box for digital playback for all devices. There is no cable audio connection for the delta 44 to your cd/dvd drive, it routes through the motherboard.

So would I then need a Delta 66 (for 6 outputs, 5+1) and software to decode Dolby Digital? Is there someway to capture the digital audio and send it to a DD decoding reciever/boombox?

Back