I wanna scratch!

shem

Please someone, I love Portishead, I want to scratch and do live stuff like that, I play keyboard but need that extra bit that I think scratching would do for me, is there any sites you know of about getting started or any advice would be great. There is a pacage in the muscians friend catelog that had two turntables and a mixer for about 300$ Is that something worth checkin out?
thanks

hello

www.asisphonics.com
www.skratchpiklz.com/index2.shtml go to faq

check those out
make sure, if your gonna buy turntables, you go all out and get the best ones, technics 1200 mk2 or mk3, nothing else

get a good mixer, vestax 07, 06, 05, pros
rane tt54, tt52

get m447 shure cartridges

Trust me, you wanna get the best stuff, after a month of skratching, you'll be pissed if you have shitty equipment because you'll realize you grew out of them already. If you decide to quit, the resale is very good on all the items mentioned above.

If i were you, I would study the skratch dj/turntablism culture for a long time. For several months or even a year. Learn how to do skratches even though you don't have turntables yet. See if you really want to do it, then go buy the best stuff. It takes a long time to be good, a long time.

Peace.

Last edited:
I agree with billyboy. :D

DEFINETLY, get the "industry standard" Technics 1200's new or used. The 1200's "new" will cost you about $419.00 each (if you get them at cost). You can probably :( get them used for about $350.00 a pair, if you look hard enough. :)

Pick up a Vestax mixer 05-Pro, 07-Pro, or 06-Pro.

Some Shure M77's or the Ortofon that attach to the Technics headshells (not the ones that are "all in one", and look like "fingers").

You will need to practice, practice, practice, pratice...

It will take you a long time to learn how to do these newer scratches (flares, crabs, warps, etc.).

You will have to practice them until your forearm muscles ache (seriously).

Just remember that scratching is a learned muscle reflex, therefore once your muscles learn the "pattern" you will be straight for life (you might get a little rusty and not as quick as you'd like to be, but you'll not ever forget the "patterns" you reate and learn).

ALSO...

You will have to become ambidextrous, meaning you will have to be proficient with using your right hand as well as you use your left hand.

Example... your right hand is on the record and you left hand is on the fader. But you also have to be able to switch it up and have your left hand on the record and your right hand on the fader.

Have fun on your journey into the land of turntablism. :)

peace...

spin

p.s. You also might want to find somebody in your city or town that has some turntables and a mixer so you can practice to see if this is really something you want to do.

Hey thanks alot you guys for the advice and links. That helps alot, by the way what are these "cartridges" used for?

Ok shem, I'll try to give ya' a simple diagram.

NEEDLES>CARTRIDGE>HEADSHELL>TONEARM.

> = "connects to"

:)

peace...

spin

Back