I wanna hear some live recordings

For my standard setup, I use 12 channels of Millennia's, 2 John Hardy's, a RNP, all going through a RME UFX. My mics are typically Schoeps, but I use Neuman's TLM 103s, Octavias, a bunch of modded mics - espically ribbons with Lundahl transformers and tons of others. For some gigs I use house choir mics through a MOTU Traveller for ease of setup.

I recorded the Atlantis Quartet's live album, "Lines in the Sand" which won 2011 best albums of the year through City Pages.

I find that for musicians that don't have the clarity and precision on their instruments, it is easier to use more forgiving mics like the Octavia's. Schoeps will capture everything, which is good for excellent musicians, but sometimes pick up too much crap from "musicians in progress."

This is my Youtube channel with lots of different gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/classicalteacher

This is a bit old now and it's mostly covers (we now play a lot more original songs), but the sound was recorded with a lap top and a Presonus Firebox. 2 channels left right from mixer and 2 channels left right from a pair of mics ( Sennheiser ME 80's) above the foh mixers head. I time aligned the 2 stereo tracks and added a bit of eq and compression (a lot actually) and them mixed them together. I think it captured a real live sound. I feel the sound and performance improved as the show went on, which is usual LOL.

Alan.

For my standard setup, I use 12 channels of Millennia's, 2 John Hardy's, a RNP, all going through a RME UFX. My mics are typically Schoeps, but I use Neuman's TLM 103s, Octavias, a bunch of modded mics - espically ribbons with Lundahl transformers and tons of others. For some gigs I use house choir mics through a MOTU Traveller for ease of setup.

I recorded the Atlantis Quartet's live album, "Lines in the Sand" which won 2011 best albums of the year through City Pages.

I find that for musicians that don't have the clarity and precision on their instruments, it is easier to use more forgiving mics like the Octavia's. Schoeps will capture everything, which is good for excellent musicians, but sometimes pick up too much crap from "musicians in progress."

This is my Youtube channel with lots of different gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/classicalteacher

Nice line up. You have a good stable of microphones, by the way. :thumbs up:

This is a bit old now and it's mostly covers (we now play a lot more original songs), but the sound was recorded with a lap top and a Presonus Firebox. 2 channels left right from mixer and 2 channels left right from a pair of mics ( Sennheiser ME 80's) above the foh mixers head. I time aligned the 2 stereo tracks and added a bit of eq and compression (a lot actually) and them mixed them together. I think it captured a real live sound. I feel the sound and performance improved as the show went on, which is usual LOL.

Alan.

I've used that technic a lot, Alan.

Are you in the band?

I've used that technic a lot, Alan.

Are you in the band?

I actually do play in Empire Blues, we now have a new drummer from the video clip, and also have 2 albums of original material written in the same British Blues style as the covers we do. Actually our second CD is being released tomorrow night at the Perth Blues Club.

We still play a few classic covers, Cream, John Mayall, Robin Trower, etc as a lot of our gigs are 3 to 4 hours long, plus the punters love to hear the classic stuff we play.

Alan.

This is a live recording I made of the London Klezmer Quartet at St George's Church, Hobart last week.

All instruments go into the desk via DI, plus there are four open vocal mikes (SM58) (no vox on this track though).

Recorded off the desk (eight direct outs) via Reaper & Firepod.

I was happy with clarinet and accordian, not so much with bass and violin.

https://app.box.com/s/j7d30pkzccsi81ae5rpa

++ Edit ++

I should note that my brief wasn't to do a live recording. I was just doing sound for them. But I liked their music, and I thought it would be interesting to do a recording at the same time. If the brief had been to do a recording, I would have have miked up violin and bass.

Last edited:
Ziggy Wild live - Noortebänd 2013 finaal - YouTube
I actually know as much how this piece was recorded as you can see from the video - I got the stems and mixed the song starting @ 7.33

-------------

SWÄRK SESSIONS: Slippery Slope - Careful - YouTube
Although this video is comped from many takes the audio is recorded live at location (it was a small coffe shop,we could not turn off AC and traffic was just on the other side of the wall :D) as one take. No mics were allowed to be seen. You can imagine it was a bit of an headache. :P
I had pair of c414 which I used in XY to capture overall sound, one original CAD E100 pointing at guitar bridge, 421 in front of cajon and Sennheiser boom mic (don't really know which model). You can see the boom's shadow near the singers neck on closeups. :)

Ziggy Wild live - Noortebänd 2013 finaal - YouTube
I actually know as much how this piece was recorded as you can see from the video - I got the stems and mixed the song starting @ 7.33

-------------

SWÄRK SESSIONS: Slippery Slope - Careful - YouTube
Although this video is comped from many takes the audio is recorded live at location (it was a small coffe shop,we could not turn off AC and traffic was just on the other side of the wall :D) as one take. No mics were allowed to be seen. You can imagine it was a bit of an headache. :P
I had pair of c414 which I used in XY to capture overall sound, one original CAD E100 pointing at guitar bridge, 421 in front of cajon and Sennheiser boom mic (don't really know which model). You can see the boom's shadow near the singers neck on closeups. :)

That doesn't sound half bad.

This is a live recording I made of the London Klezmer Quartet at St George's Church, Hobart last week.

All instruments go into the desk via DI, plus there are four open vocal mikes (SM58) (no vox on this track though).

Recorded off the desk (eight direct outs) via Reaper & Firepod.

I was happy with clarinet and accordian, not so much with bass and violin.

https://app.box.com/s/j7d30pkzccsi81ae5rpa

I couldn't hear anything wrong on the violin, but the bass I get. Sounds like you just picked up the thud and not the sound.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrkeGZATGqY]SWÄRK SESSIONS: Slippery Slope - Careful - YouTube

That was certainly a challenge. You did well with it.

The guy in the middle with the little shaker doesn't look all that excited about the whole thing!

Get some recordings then to post here on Wednesday. :thumbs up:

I think I may have too much to do already tonight without having to record as well, you did get me thinking about it.

The reason we recorded the other show was because there was a couple of film guys going to be there, unfortunately we only have the footage of the fixed camera as the editing of the moving camera footage into the video clip never seemed to get finished, and there also edited a strange selection from the whole night, Film Guys :rolleyes:

Alan.

I've got about a half zillion classical recordings, but the rockin' stuff is more fun --

(It's an edited short for lack of a better term) http://www.massivemastering.com/special/LiveRecording.m3u

Gear? Mostly a bunch of typical crap. 57's on the guitars, 504's on the toms, 81's overhead, 57 snare / hat, dual DI on the bass. It's an aux mix -- Aux 3 was left, aux 4 was right -- so panning was "manual" (again, lack of a better term). PITA on the toms and what not... Board was an old, noisy A&H GL2200. Aux outputs ran to a 2-channel Apogee MiniMe USB interface.

5 minutes to put the whole thing together while in the room (a theatre) on headphones (hence the light bass). The hat is actually screaming through the floor wedge.

Levels aside, that's what happens when the band has their (stuff) together.

Back