I think this is my best drum sound yet.

I'm not familiar w/any of your earlier tracks--so I can't make comparisons. But this sounds good. BTW--I'm not a drummer, but I am an everything-elser who records drummers & mixes the tracks. So I listen with this thought, "Could I make a good (or even great) sounding mix out of this?"

And with yours, I could.

Small nit: the floor tom is a bit boomy--might be a tuning issue (maybe too low) or just need to be dampened a bit. Again, with my "mixing ears" on, thats all I had an issue with.

Tell us about your set up--mics, pres etc. And did you track each mic seprately or mix on a mixer and dump just the stereo track?

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "recorder man style"?

Also did you mic the hats, or were they picked up through the Overheads?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on drum recordings, and if I could get that level of recording I'd be chuffed.

Once I have some money I think I'll invest in the firepod.

Just to confirm, if I bought said firepod, hooked it up to the comp with a firewire cable. Plugged in an 8 mic set up to it, and recorded it in Cubase, I'd have 8 seperate audio tracks for editing in Cubase, not just one track,correct?

Sorry, I'm a noob to all this!

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "recorder man style"?
It's an overhead mic placement technique. Many people here use it and get good results. Do a Google, youtube, or search in here and you'll find tons of info on it.

Just to confirm, if I bought said firepod, hooked it up to the comp with a firewire cable. Plugged in an 8 mic set up to it, and recorded it in Cubase, I'd have 8 seperate audio tracks for editing in Cubase, not just one track,correct?

Yes.

Cheers mate, i'll check out youtube now.

EDIT: Just had a look on youtube and noticed that they were using quite small mics. I've got two large diaghram condenser mics (I think), would it still be good to use the recorderman method?

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

Yeah they are.

One more question, if I want to mic the hi-hat what sort of mic should I use?

I really doubt you'll need to mic the hats if you set up your overheads correctly. I never mic mine, but I think most people use SDC's for hats.

i like a lot, toms especially big and juicey :eek: the only thing I can think of is the snare seems to dramatically change in gain at certain points, are you compressing the snare already or not at all?

Back