I think it's junk...

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
Ok, maybe not junk, but I'm just getting really bored/frustrated with my "solo" material.

I've been fiddling with this mix for a bit now...I know I'm missing some things (and I'm mixing with headphones/hifi stereo).

The track is intentionally stripped down, as I'm hoping to have another guitarist sit in and track some lead to layer in.

Convince me not to give up lol.
TIA!

Listen to: Already Happy

I think your vocals are way way too loud. The backing vocals are too low and the chorus seems pretty pitchy - not sure of its the backing harmonies or the main vocal.

I think you could improve the mix quite a bit and then decide... Since you are not using drums I would thicken up the guitar with some double tracking or something - it's pretty sparse.

Lyrics and style seem pretty good - Ithink it could be improved to a level of being a decent recording if you did some more work on it.

I don;tthink mixing in headphones is doing you any favors. You need monitors.

Just drop the vocals some. It's only a guitar and voice, how hard can it be? You're clipping/clipped at 1:43-1:45.

I like the quality of your voice, except for when you try singing out of your range in the bridge. I would try again with another idea there that you can sing well. Good melodies in the verse and chorus. And ditto for dropping the levels on the vocals. If you're just putting songwriter demos together, you're nearly there.

Dotto above comments.

Wondering: when you added other parts and instruments, did you bury or cut way back on the acoustic??

Listen to some tunes that start like yours does, then listen for the acoustic after the band wakes up. 99% of the time, the acoustic guitar is gone. And that's cuz the acoustic guitar swallows the frequency range whole...and doesn't play well with others. I'm thinking that might have been why you got frustrated with a full mix...not being able to get any clarity or punctuation in the rythm with a fuller mix??

Acoustic guitar [in a standard pop mix] and is a band by itself; and way too much for another mixed band to compete with. A battle for space where both sides lose.

Hope that helps. Been there; made that error.

ps. The vox is pitchy and kind of raw. But it's just like what I'm hearing played on the alt rock stations.... a lot. So I reckon you're good on that.

yeah i hear some bad distortion at points with clipping on the vocals...bring them down, as mentioned they are loud anyway...i dont have a prob with pitchiness or anything else in it track...some light percussion and another guitar piece would add some interest

Little pop at :41. Caught a few spots where you're clipping. Vocal has a boxiness to it. The word "me" at 1:55 is a bit weak. Almost a bobbled note. Something like that could be punched out.

Thank you so much for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.
The main vocal track is actually a lesser take...the best take got corrupted somehow when I saved it. I'll give it another go soon.

A few years ago I had a decent little setup with monitors, so mixing in cans really throws me.

As for the pop(s), that's related to the corruption of the files (or maybe interference?). Usually don't have that problem, so I'm looking into it.

I'm using a cheapo USB "condenser" and recording on a laptop with Audacity, so that might explain some of the flaws.
My first mistake was not playing with mic placement. This mic is very sensitive to placement, and I got lazy.
Might just redo the whole thing, haha. Thanks again!

Back