I think I'm ready to move on.

All I can get it to do is a 64kbps stream, so I'm afraid it sounds a might thin on my end, LOL. Cool songs though, and I can tell the mixes are well balanced - I just can't comment on anything beyond that without totally talking out of my ass, LOL. Do you have anyplace you could upload them to allow direct downloads without having to register?

You know, you could sign up for a free account on nowhereradio.com (I think) and host this tune there just for listens from the clinic. There are probably other places, but personally, I'd like to be able to download it, and NWR is very familiar to me.

chrisharris said:
You know, you could sign up for a free account on nowhereradio.com (I think) and host this tune there just for listens from the clinic. There are probably other places, but personally, I'd like to be able to download it, and NWR is very familiar to me.

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

I think the the song needs thickening (Car track) in the first verse at least, it gets nice at the chorus. Well written, well played. I'd also boost the drums if I were you.
Next time you record something, try really being emotive vocally, simply because you have a nice vocal tone, but it feels like you're holding back (Like Tim Wheeler from Ash)

Over all nice one. :)+

I like the car track tune. I'm listening on PC speakers but it sounds nice. I'd to hear a some judicious use of reverb on this tune. It's pretty dry. No need to thicken it up if you had some nice verbs in there. Good job.

This is nice (car track). Guitar work sounds good. Listening on headphones, but the mix sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not sure I agree with any of the complaints. Vocal is a little buried, but it works for me. I'm not too crazy about the snare sound, need something with a little more punch.

Good stuff.

bazzlad said:
I think the the song needs thickening (Car track) in the first verse at least, it gets nice at the chorus. Well written, well played. I'd also boost the drums if I were you.
Next time you record something, try really being emotive vocally, simply because you have a nice vocal tone, but it feels like you're holding back (Like Tim Wheeler from Ash)

Over all nice one. :)+

Thanks for the tips. I totally agree with what you're saying about the vocals.
I need to punch it up a bit. I think I'm trying to hard to sing on pitch and keep my level in check so it sounds just as you describe. That's cool man I will try to get that right next time. I'm working on something right now that might come across a little more exciting.

HangDawg said:
I like the car track tune. I'm listening on PC speakers but it sounds nice. I'd to hear a some judicious use of reverb on this tune. It's pretty dry. No need to thicken it up if you had some nice verbs in there. Good job.

Thanks HangDawg, I guess I fear over doing things such as reverb. I sing live all the time and I'm used to hearing my voice with nothing on it through the stage monitors. I tried to put some reverb on it but I guess I could have used more.

Last edited:
Stormy Monday said:
This is nice (car track). Guitar work sounds good. Listening on headphones, but the mix sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not sure I agree with any of the complaints. Vocal is a little buried, but it works for me. I'm not too crazy about the snare sound, need something with a little more punch.

Good stuff.

Thanks for the kind words Stormy And thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to listen. I have only recently been paying more attention to the recording process thanks to this forum. I haven't been posting long but I have been lurking for a while ;)

I really struggled with the snare. It's my old Alesis HR16. I kept messing with it trying to make it fatter but I felt like it was dominating the mix so I kept pulling it back.
Maybe after Christmas I can get some monitors and I be able to hear what I'm doing.

Once again, thanks to everyone who took time to listen and help me get a little bit better at this.

Ed Wade

Hey man...it's really pretty good, I think. On the Car Track, there are places (like in the first part of the verses) where the vocal sits perfectly, but when the guitars come in, it starts getting swallowed up...you really need to just push the vocal up a bit when it starts washing out and I think you're there. I'd love to hear this with real drums, but what are you gonna' do, eh? :D

chrisharris said:
Hey man...it's really pretty good, I think. On the Car Track, there are places (like in the first part of the verses) where the vocal sits perfectly, but when the guitars come in, it starts getting swallowed up...you really need to just push the vocal up a bit when it starts washing out and I think you're there. I'd love to hear this with real drums, but what are you gonna' do, eh? :D

Thanks Chris, I would love to have real drums but I don't even think I have the means to record them at this point.

I was thinking yesterday about this very thing and I had a crazy idea.
I can record only two tracks at one time. If my drummer came in and laid down a kick and snare, could he come back and put down the hi-hat/ cymbals and toms on a second take? Would that just throw the whole feel off?
Has anyone done this before? I could have the kick on one track and sub mix the snare, hat, toms, and cymbals on another. I know that will give me less control during mixing so I'm looking for suggestions.

I have done it many times before getting an 8 input card. If your drummer knows his part well, it should not be that big of a deal.

Tom

tmix said:
I have done it many times before getting an 8 input card. If your drummer knows his part well, it should not be that big of a deal.

Tom
wow, really?

Tom's a good drummer, lol. I wouldn't think it'd be possible, but I would be wrong apparently. I guess you can edit if some stuff bugs you...still, that's damned impressive, lol.

Back