I think I'm literally cursed (tube amp problem)

clntgn

So, because of the recent problems with my other tube amp, I decided to switch back over to my Dr Z mazerati Jr. I was just trying to set up a tone, and it was playing fine yesterday, until it started to make a weird noise. Being the cautious person that I am, I decided to turn it off.

The next day I come back in to play, and I turn it on, let it warm up, and then flip the stand-by switch off, and out comes this horrible buzzing noise. It isn't screeching or anything, but sort of a mid range buzz, which sounds kind of like a phaser at the beginning. So, once again, I turn it off. I tried switching cables, tried turning down all of the knobs to zero, tried a different outlet, and even tried a different guitar. Nothing changed. Still the same obnoxious buzzing.

What's worse is when I switch to the hi-gain channel, I get the buzzing, plus a weird sort of puttering noise, like a motor boat starting up or something.

What's wrong this time? This happens with a lot of my stuff. Am I actually cursed? Should I just quit music that requires me to plug in, and switch to acoustic stuff?

NOTE: The amp did NOT make this noise until today. Before the only problem I had was a sort of gentle wooshing noise, like a breeze.

Off to the amp tech for you I fear...

Don't know much about the inner workings of tube amps I'm afraid, but it doesn't sound good - some component or other fried...

Could be worth a post in the gutiar forum - or hang here and see if any more knowledgable people have anything to say.

I play mainly acoustic guitar these days... and while I still have electrics and amps, it's so simple to just pick the thing up and start playing and not worry about warming up tubes ... maybe this is a sign! :cool:

Ugh. I was hoping it wouldn't be that. Hopefully this doesn't cost me too much, although the guy I go to see usually only charges me $20 (or free, if it wasn't actually a big problem, and just something I didn't quite understand).

I'll leave this here for a day and then go see if someone in the guitar board knows.

With the amp OFF and UNPLUGGED pull the tubes clean the ends and reset them.
Do you have a back up set of tubes to switch out to see if that is your problem?

:cool:

Last edited:
The symptoms you describe - "sort of a mid range buzz, which sounds kind of like a phaser at the beginning" is pretty much what I went through with my Alamo tube amp last week.

When I looked at the tubes one of the 6L6's was very bright and there was some arcing.

I swapped a 6L6 out of my Champ and that solved it. Yesterday I bought a new 6L6 and it works like a charm - plus the tone has much more quality to it, I can hear more detail. I realize now that before the tube blew it was showing signs of failing - it was fuzzy, in a bad way.

So before I'd take your amp to a shop I'd try swap a few tubes out, either with another amp or buy some tubes because it's good to have backups.

Unfortunately I don't have any back up tubes, and I currently don't have the money for them, but I think I may check with the guy I see for repairs if he can test them or not.

I don't really know how long my uncle had this amp before he gave it to me, and I think before yesterday, the last time I played through it was several weeks ago.

A few months ago my stereo tube amp started making weird sounds. I pulled the tubes and cleaned the contacts with a Q-tip soaked in Deoxit D5 and that seemed to have solved the problem. Something to try.

Unfortunately I don't have any back up tubes, and I currently don't have the money for them, but I think I may check with the guy I see for repairs if he can test them or not.

I don't really know how long my uncle had this amp before he gave it to me, and I think before yesterday, the last time I played through it was several weeks ago.

Dam it ....:mad:....can't let a guy be without an amp.
Check and see what they are and I just may have some here kicking around that I can send to you.

Where are you located clntgn?

:cool:

I live in Tacoma, WA. I think I should be ok. I have one other amp that hopefully works fine. Its a vox hybrid sort of amp, but I've never really had much of a problem with it. If I'm lucky, it may not need a tube change. I've looked at all the tubes, and they seem to be lit at mostly the same level (Although there's two or three I can't see because they're hidden by shielding or something... at least I THINK those are tubes in there). Is it safe and possible to take that shielding off? It looks like a metal pipe with like, the tip of a tube visible if I look at it.

Ok, so if I'm cleaning the contacts of the tubes, would denatured alcohol work as well? That's what I tend to use to clean other things with contacts.

Back